Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Rattle

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GreatGavin07, Dec 25, 2001.

1. GreatGavin07

GreatGavin07

Dec 25, 2001
    I have been trying to play some songs on my bass but I keep getting this rattle when I play. It sounds like the string is vibrating on a fret. Can someone tell me how to fix this so I can play my bass in peace?!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    this belongs in setup. But:

On a particular string? Fret? Or just a general buzzing? If it's just a general buzzing, you might be playing too hard on action that's too low. try raising the saddles on your bridge a bit, and see if that helps. If they are already fairly high, then try adjusting the Truss rod. A LITTLE. about 1/4 inch turns, and then leave it overnight to let the woods adjust. Get back to us if the saddles don't help for a better discussion on how to adjust truss rods (a very important concept to understand!)

If it's on a specific fret, then you have a high fret on your board, and then...well, frankly, that's out of my realm, however I trust more knowledgeable individuals will be along shortly.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, this is exactly the sort of problems that the Setup Forum deals with. So, consider this thread moved there.;)