bass re-fin? who, what, where?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EdenSmith, Apr 9, 2003.

1. EdenSmith

EdenSmith Guest

Hi, got a bass I want to get refinished. It's currently oiled and I want the oil sanded off, a colored stain applied and clear coated. No one around here that does this. Any suggestions guys (and gals)..thnx

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Pat Wilkins is probably the best (and most used my major manufacturers) and comes highly recommended by me. He recently did a candy apple red finish on my "parts jazz" and also did a matching headstock and vintage tint satin finish on the neck. If you want to go the budget route while still getting a quality finish, check out the guys at Roxio. Can't remember their web addy, but you can get there via They supposedly do a really nice, and thin, poly finish in addition to a number of stains, etc.
  4. or, you could just buy a book on the subject, buy the supplies and do it yourself, it'll cost a lot less money and you'll be a lot happier with yourself
  5. EdenSmith

EdenSmith Guest

Thanks a bunch guys. Sounds like Wilkins is the place. Checked out the site and looks like they can do what I want. Money isn't really an issue cause I want a great, quality finish. My luck, if I'd try to do it myself, I have runs, it'd end up flaking off, or who knows what nastiness might happen. I don't need that headache:p
  6. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    I bet it would come out as good as wilkins, too, right? :rolleyes:
  7. i never said it would come out as well, but its much more fulfilling than paying someone to do it for you
  8. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Here at my house...we shoot (paint) cars, right? So when I wanted a change for my Ibanez SR, I got some of the left over paint from the racing stripes on my Firebird. We used a base coat/ clear coat paint, and it turned out phenominal! It's never looked shinier or better IMO, and it's now a custom color :D. It wasn't difficult for us to do, and if you knew you'd be doing it a few times, it'd be worht going out and buying the gun and paints and thinners etc. The gun, if you go with a professional one, can be kinda hefty, (good NAPA ones cost like $200 some odd), but as with anything, you can get a good one for fairly cheap. You'll need an air compressor and -- ah , well, if you feel the need for more info on it, PM or e-mail ( and I can tell ya anything. Hell, if you were local, I'd do it for ya, only for the cost of the paint! If you do take this route though...I recommend a base coat/ clear coat job. Laqurers and others don't quite get the shine and such, though it comes at a higher price :-/. Whatever though, this is basically prolly just a useless post, but hey, I try....
  9. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    "south west central PA" where ya at? I'm kinda near Johnstown!
  10. Arguably best in business is PAT WILKINS. I think it's I posted about this before; do a search here on Talkbass and put in

pat AND wilkins
  11. Uncle Fat

Uncle Fat Guest

Mar 14, 2003
    Portland, OR
    For the diy-er, the guitar re-ranch: is a good site. They sell supplies, and have very extensive info section. I haven't tried their stuff or instructions yet (hopefuly soon), but they have a pretty impressive gallery from people that have.