1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass recommendation please =]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wooten83, Apr 23, 2009.

1. wooten83

wooten83

Apr 23, 2009
    Hi all,

My 1st post here! =]

I have had 2 bass guitars both 4 string and both Ibanez SR series. I have tried to use Fender bass guitars, however my fingers got so used to the thin neck of Ibanez bass that I cannot press down the strings on the Fender bass =[

Should I stick to Ibanez guitars? So should I pick up a bass guitar that has "regular" frets on them. I dont think I can achieve some sounds (slap type sound) with my Ibanez. (or maybe Im just not good enough)

I want to learn stuff from Dream Theater, and also some slapping.

Dream Theater = 5/6 string, slapping is 4 string. So not sure what I should get. Help!

Looking for something $300-600 range

Thanks!

2. Why couldn't you slap a 6 string?

As for slapping, do you think you have a decent technique, there is a thread in Techniques that explain how to slap.

For the Bass, Did you tried 5/6 string basses, because i used to think i was a Fiver guy but founded that i'm ain't.

If you are near a music store try ALL the bass, even those not in your price range. You'll soon see that some 1000+ bass could be less good for you than a 200$ bass.

3. wooten83

wooten83

Apr 23, 2009
    thanks! the thing is, I have not played in a while, (3years!!) and when I went to a store nearby I have no clue what to do with it. I could never test bass guitars, I think I do not know what/how to do it!! Should I just play some tunes I know? What else should I do?

Yes I went to the store and picked up a 6 string, ughh....felt weird, but that was also my first time trying to play one.

4. The Fender Jaguar and Geddy Lee have nice, thin necks...might want to try one of those. I have both, and I love the necks...I use them instead of my Precision when I need to get more technical...Used would be your best bet, as they have jumped quite a bit in price...

5. Just play some tune that you know. Don't let the sellers oppress you. I do know that they are stressing.

Try the usual 1-2-3-4 to see the comfortability of the neck.

Try it with a strap to check te comfortability when playing standing.

6. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    Besides the Jaguar and Geddy lee, there is the mustang - that has a super thin neck. it's shortscale, but you never know... you may as well try it out and see what you think if you're in the market

7. wooten83

wooten83

Apr 23, 2009
    thanks guys for all the replies, appreciate them. I'll try and go to the store if I can today and test some out.

=]