Bass Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockin982, Jan 27, 2004.

1. rockin982

Jan 27, 2004
    NJ, USA
    Ok, I'm new to bass, and right now I am playing on my dad's Gibson Ripper 4-string, but I would like to get myself a new bass.

Basically what I'm looking for is a 6-string with string spacing that's wide enough to slap, but narrow enough to fret somewhat easily. The reason I want 6 strings is because I want to get into learning solo, and I think it will be helpful to have that full range of notes to work with. I figure a 6 can do just about anything a 4 can do, but when it comes to melodic solo playing, a 4 can't always match a 6.

Keep in mind that I'm pretty much a beginning bass player, so it doesn't have to be a Zon Sonus 6 in Bubinga here, but I want something that's well made, has good intonation, and is very playable. Oh, and it would be nice if it didn't cost a fortune. < $500 would be nice if possible, but if I have to go up to $600-$700 to get what I need, I'll consider it.

One last thing, need a small, in expensive practice amp. Something with a good range since I'm working with 6 strings. But again, don't need a $10,000 Eden\Bag End setup, just something that sounds nice and is loud enough to practice with.

Any suggestions? Thanx!
  2. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    If you're "new" to the bass, I wouldn't recommend a six string... If you're looking to play melodies, get a four string and tune it ADGC.

BUT....If you REALLY want a sixer, I'd suggest a Spector Q6. New they run about $600. Spector makes a FINE bass :)

3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Jaco only needed four strings...

But seriously play some sixes first. I myself am a five string man and tuning a 5 EADGC would work well for you. I prefer the low B myself. Another word of advice, as a bass player, make sure you timing and groove is perfect before you even think of soloing.

Some good sixes in your range are Yamahas, Delta (hard to find but actually good), Carvin, and used conklin groove tools. IMHO focus on your playing more than new gear. trust me on that one.

OH and a great practice amp is a trace elliot boxer 30. I just bought one new for $175 and it gets pretty loud. Also check out Ampeg or Peavy for low prices.

Good luck, and remember to groove before you solo, crawl before you walk....
  4. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I actually like your ambition. When I started out on bass I started out right on a 5 string instead of 4 and did just fine. Now I play 5 strings almost exclusively although I am going to be getting a 4 to make slap easier although I am quite precise on the 5er. It would help to know what budget you're working with, but from what I've heard/read...if you want a 6er with wide spacing for slap...a Mr. Potato seems to be of good value. I think you can order them direct from their a google search or something and see what you come up with. Don't be fooled by the silly name, I've heard they are great basses for the money
  5. rockin982

Jan 27, 2004
    NJ, USA
    Just to add a couple of things ...

Although I'm new to the bass, I've been a drummer for about 15 years, and I've gotten to be a pretty good one (not to brag). My timing is pretty much metronome-solid, and I understand groove quite well.

Also, although I'm not a bass player per se, I understand theory and have a basic idea of how a bass line is constructed. I happen to have perfect pitch and I can hear everything that is going on in music and isolate specific parts. I can read, and I've delved into composing as well. So although I may not be Jaco just yet, I think I have somewhat of a head start over the aspiring bassist with no musical background.

The other thing is, might I do better to go with two 5-strings, one tuned BEADG for accompanying and one EADGC for solo?
  6. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    EAGDC is very high! aren't you gonna break your strings with that tunning?
  7. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    well rockin, Thats cool you are a drummer! Then you do know how importatnt groove is then! I'd say if you really want the B and C string then you should get a six, but I also think you should experiment with fives 1st. On a six you really only gain about 5 extra notes and can play higher notes in lower positions.

IMO it can be a lazy way to avoid the higher (12th fret and up) area of the neck which is very important to soloing. If you prefer fives I reccomend you try the EADGC if higher notes are your thing. But a five to me is a lower interval machine which I prefer instead of playing a huge, expensive six. Plus since money is an issue a five may be a smarter idea. Usually cheaper basses' B string sucks, but some Yamahas and Deltas have amazed me on the B string.

I'd say try out as much basses as possible and go for playability and sound first. Oh and BTW the C string is usually from a six string set (not tuning up) and I think that La Bella offers 5 strings sets with a high C instead of a B.
  8. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I don't even have a bass (yet...) but in my shopping for one, I ran accross this 6 string for a nice price:

Peavey Grind Bass 6 NTB

$449 USD.