Bass Recording Technique?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Arcy, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Arcy

Jul 4, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a good fusion/rock bass sound in a mix with guitar and drums? This has always been my achilles heel when mixing. I've won (very small scale) awards for for my drumkit and guitar sounds, but my bass recordings always suck bad.

I'm using my new Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass which I am running into a Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI into the board. Through normal speakers, or when I just plug the bass into a bass amp, it sounds absolutely great. The problem occurs when I listen to it through the monitors.

I'm using Event PS8's, which are pretty good I think for the non hr824 type price range or whatever... and like most monitors I guess they don't sound like normal stereos on the low end... And when I record using the bass driver, and play it back in the mix, no matter what I do the sound always seems muddy and VERY lost in the mix behind the guitars and drums. And yes I'm using good 24-bit audio interface hardware and a good soundcraft board etc.

One other thing I might mention is that currently I have no compressor, and though the signal is NOT clipping inside the hardware, the compression I'm doing on the bass is using plugins... I would think this would work fine but who knows.

I know this is hard to advise on, since every mix is different etc, but some pointers would really be appreciated. Thanks.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    How do you set your EQ? Maybe you need more low mids (400 Hz or so) to get a little more focus.
    You don't really need compression, but I always have one running.
  3. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Have you tried just plugging the bass in direct to see what kind of sound you are getting? If the bass sounds great through an amp or just through a passive DI you may have found your issue. The other thing that might help is to mix a cd and then listen to it on every type of deck you have available. Listen in the car, in a boom box, home stereo, through a computer... this will give you an idea of the different types of mixes you need for a given speaker type, then find a happy medium. Mixing is an art form imho.
  4. I always record with my ADA MP2 tube guitar preamp, right out of the XLR recording outputs with 4x12 cab emulation turned on. Sounds great.