Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass recordings for spoken word, poetry,....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jbroad572, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Jbroad572

Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    I really wanted to use my voice to make some spoken word type songs, poems.... You know the upright walking the bass lines, the powet with sunglasses, and everyone sitting around snapping their fingers or a congo player playing his rhythm? Lol, well I couldn't find any tracks on the net, so that pushed me into purchasing a bass and here the first sample I created. I just got my bass last Wednesday and am a complete noob to the bass world, but Im just trying to do a few things by ear. I like the sound I am getting from my fretless though. I need to learn where the notes are so I can start working on walking bass lines. If anyone can lead me to other samples or clips of similar work, please do. I primarily play the sax and want to play a few fills along with the poetry. Anyway here it is...
    http://bway5.net/basstrck2.mp3

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Have you played any string instrument prior? You already have good timing.

*edit: I missed where you mentioned playing the sax, so you do have musical experience!

Just keep practicing and move on to the other strings. Ear training is important. Take some lessons so you'll know proper hand technique and scales. Not bad for less than a week!

3. Jbroad572

Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    Thanks!
    Having some musical experience sure is helping out, the bass almost feels natural to an extent. I won't be taking any lessons anytime soon though. I'm swamped with music classes and sax lessons. I've got a few friends who can help me out though, whi ch I may really need with this fretless.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The timing is a little iffy here and there, but it is solid overall. Just one question... WHERE'S THE POETRY!?

For true inspiration, refer to Kids in the Hall with the "Bass player" skit.

5. Jbroad572

Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    I didn't include it in that track. Still working on the voice and writing. I did a sample with some words off the top of my head, that didn't make too much sense, but it wasn't good enough to post for others to hear. I'll post the final track once I finish it though.