1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass recos for even tone/signal througout the scale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zapp, Jan 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    This sounds like a really simple question with answers like 'personal preference' or 'whichever one seems right to you', or better yet "you gotta get it setup right" ....but it really is about build and design values AND setup. Independent of personal prefs, what Basses do you recommend that have equivalent or 'even-ness' of tone throughout the scale, all four/five strings?

It obviously isn't easy as I have been thumping for about 25 years and had/owned/gigged/played a few basses and have not found one that I thought really had no dead or muted spots, no hotspots. BUT there are a LOT of basses out there, so please give me your opine.

2. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Two fairly easy things that can help with most basses:

1) balanced tension strings. I've been using Kaliums on most of my basses for a while, and I'm always amazed at how even my tone is across all strings. If you like the roundwound sound, give them an honest shot.

2) pickups that can be adjusted for each string. Either P pickups (where the whole pickup can be moved) or adjustable pole pieces like on G&L and Dimarzio.

My carvin PBJ5 has a very even sound and volume across the whole neck. String to string, and fret to fret. But those two things above will make a big difference regardless of the bass.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    If consistency and evenness of tone from string to string is your concern, the answer is simple.

Dingwall.

lz4005 likes this.
  4. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    @wvbass beat me to it. The multiscale design optimizes string tension and lets each string 'speak' properly.

5. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    good tips.
    I am reading up on Dingwall... how long did it take you to adjust to the fan fret