Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass refinish...What's the last step?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JRBrown, Mar 7, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I picked up a 1983 Ken Smith this week. :)Everything was excellent except for the finish on the lower half of the body. I removed the hardware, did a little sanding, and now I'm applying tung oil. I just applied the 2nd application.

- How many applications should I apply?

- What do I use for the final buffing? 0000 steel wool? Synthetic pad? Old sock?

The project is coming along as planned. The bass still looks old, yet very clean.

Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It looks pretty clean. Sometimes Ken comes in here, and I'm sure he'll probably have an opinion on how to best finish one of his own, but I generally put about 6-8 heavy coats of oil, lightly hitting it with 0000 in between. On the last coat, let it sit for about 15 minutes, then wipe it real clean with a cloth. Buff it out with a rag and then hit it with some paste wax the next day.

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks.

I was doing the opposite. I applied light coats and buffed heavely with 0000 in between.

Here's an up to date pic. The look changes as each application dries. Ken has his "secret" way of doing it, so I thought I'd post here to learn some unclassified methods. :cool:
    [​IMG]

4. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What the difference between cloth and rag? What brand/types of paste wax?

I just applied coat #5. So far, so good. :)

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Cloth, rag whatever. If you can get one that is lint-free that is best.

I use Butcher's brand Bowling Alley Wax.

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Done for now.
    [​IMG]

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Front:
    [​IMG]