Bass Regret

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ptidwell, Nov 30, 2005.

1. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I have been a keyboardist since the late 60's. I have recently been converted to bass because of need. For most of those years I have been a church musician. Where I now attend we have three keyboard players besides myself. We had been through three bass players for various reasons (touring, multi-giging and the like). I dabbled with bass back in the day and because we needed some stability at bass, I stepped up to the plate. I am enjoying it to the utmost, revived musically so to speak. Anyway I have found that as I was with keyboards I'm a total gear head. So I have been buying and selling trying to get that ultimate bass and rig.
    My question is, how many of you have sold or traded basses that you totally regret parting with? Also what ever you sold or traded for was it to move up in quality or just trying something different?

I have been playing bass now 6 months.
    I bought a MIM Jazz, bought a Marcus Miller Jazz, traded the MIM Jazz & cash for a 90's Fernandes APB-5 string. Modded the APB-5 with EMG's P5J pu and the BTS System. Forgot, I also bought a GK head 2000RB, bought 2 Acme B2 II. Bought a Ampeg BA-115. I Modded the MM Jazz with the J-Retro preamp. Ordered a custom 5 from Nino Valenti, bought an F Bass BN5 from a fellow TBer, and now selling the MM Jazz on this forum. So far I have no regrets, but I may need to slow the train down.
  2. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    OMGOSH you bought so much stuff... nice stuff...
  3. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    WOW, that alot of activity for 6 months!!!!!!!
    I have traded/sold alot of basses and gear. I have 2 basses that Im really sorry I traded away... My Roscoe SKB-3006 because it just worked so well in any situation I played in and sounded beautiful doing it. And my Alembic Brown Bass, which was truly a work of art, but the tone was too hard to tame down in certain situations and the short scale was not totally working for me.
    - Tom

BTW: Keep the Valenti and the F-Bass :)
  4. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    It's weird.....I used to play drums and never had real gas before.... but with the's like a disease! I don't change basses all that often but when I do, there is a high I get from the new bass which usually lasts for a few weeks. After the new bass buzz wears off, I get a sense of doubt over trading/selling the old bass. Maybe I'm weird....yes that's gotta be it!!!
  5. I had a '72 Jazz Bass that I had bought for $150 w/ohsc in the late '80's. It was cosmetically hacked and had replacement pups (excellent Duncan Vintage Stacks), so I put $300 into a refinish and gigged it for 10+ years. Eventually, the neck twisted and it needed serious, expensive repair. Moron that I was, I traded it for a '69 Gibson EB-O and $100 cash rather than have it fixed. If I knew then what I know now! I kick myself daily for doing it. God, I miss that bass. :bawl:
  6. groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    within 6 months

Fender 24 fret edition - traded +cash Fretless warwick 4 string. traded + cash to warwick corvette 5 string fretted. traded to Yamaha TRB1005. and im happy with it.

Traded different basses for different reasons. the last one though was because of the weight.

its really good to have good friends at guitar shops to help you with this.