Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass related tattoo

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by eric atkinson, May 21, 2005.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey my nephew is back in town and he is a awsome tattoo artist. So he tells me the other night to figure out what i want for a tattoo and he would do it for free. I have housed him for the last 3 months and feed him and he has killed my couch from sleeping on it so long so i think i deserve this tatto from him. But here is the thing,i cant figure out what to get?? I try to think of somthing that i will love forever. I figure i will always be a bassist even if my arms are tore off in a horrible accident. I would still use my toes or tung or other body parts :eek: So i was wondering if anyone had any bass related tatts or any pics of ideas? I thought about just a clef but i am not sure what to do with it because i want this tattoo to equal the amount of damage done to my couch!!!!

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    My avatar :smug:

3. I got a clef done about 3 years ago, and the "artist" totally finged it up.

I been wearing it in absolute shame for those years, but three weeks ago, I went and got it fixed by a decent tattooist. Now it looks really good. (About four times the size of the old one, just to cover up the bad work)

I dunno about different ideas - maybe get the outline of the classic Jazz body - its a sexy shape. ;)

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I've been tossing around a bass-related tattoo lately (it would be #5). I'm not telling what though for fear of copy-catting. :spit: :ninja: :cool:

5. tease.

its probably a picture of a pile driver.......

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    WHO TOLD YOU?!! :mad: :bawl:

7. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Naaa i am way to picky to copy cat thats for sure! the thought of having the same thing that someone else has drives me nutz! I might already have a tattoo if it wasnt for that! And the thought of getting a bass body done scares me as well because i know if i get a certain bass body that i have then my bass would explode or somthing and i would hate the co. and the tattoo! Doubt it but knowing my damn luck!

8. :eek:

Umm, well. If its your first tatt, some small persons advice here.

Make sure you want to live with it for the rest of your days - or be prepared to pay through the nose for even more painful removal treatment. Its not a joke - it's not Christmas and its not a puppy - its truly for life.

Then again, its really not that painful, and body art is very sensual. Make sure you check out the artist before you commit, ensure that if it gets too much you will be able to return to finish the job at the same cost.

(Note: Ensure that your tattoist is on the same planet as you when starting the job....)

Be careful, but enjoy!

pete

9. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    My wife thinks i am nutz because back when i was in my first gigging band the only job i could find that would let me have the hours i needed to travel and play was in a tattoo shop! And the lady that ran the place always told me when i was ready to get my first tatt to let her know and she would do it for free! Probably should have let her do it since she is the best in the area. Leslie(wild child) if ya heard of her she has been in several magazines. But i could never figure out what a wanted! And to tell ya the truth working in a place like that kinda makes ya not like the art form so much anymore after you see 300 taz or bugs bunny tatt done. But since my nephew is so good and its free i figure if i am ever gonna get one now is the time! I never seem to have the extra cash to do it with a kid wife and rig i need to keep up and going!LOl

10. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Southpaw - any pics of yours available?

11. I got this about 5 years ago. I wanted somthing to do with bass so I worked this out and got it done. I decided to put it on my back so if I wound up unhappy with it I wouldnt have to look at it. :D

Attached Files:

12. it just me or does this look a little poorly done ?

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Just get what really want dont settle, your going to be together for a long time.

14. I'll post a pic once the flaking is over and done with ;)

15. Just you.

Mike

16. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    +1 :rolleyes:

17. I remember somebody posting a really cool Celtic style tatoo with a bass clef in the middle.

If I ever get a tattoo it will be bass related.

18. i have a drawing ive done of that bass clef spiral thats someones avatar, but ive changed it a bit and added a double ring circle around it with some nice shading in their to fill the gaps too that i want for a tatt, will be done soon hopefully. cant figure out how to attach it to

19. I'm still working on a bass-related design to get done. But everytime I come up with a great idea, I end up seeing someone with either the very same thing, or something very similar.

20. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

Funny you mention working in a shop kinda deters you. I remember one day in the shop, 3 separate people came in throughout the day and all 3 picked a piece off the wall and all 3 got the same artist. All 3 people chose the same tat hehe. Poor artist was complaining about it, having to do the same tat on 3 different, unrelated people, in the same day kinda kills all the joy of the job!

Have you considered asking your nephew to maybe draw you up some ideas? If nothing else it might get you moving in the right direction and with some modifications to your wants, might end up with exactly what you want, and it be original. Most artists I've worked with prefer to draw up their own ideas when at all possible. You might just ask him.