1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass rental for a national tour

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by seanieb, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

So I'll be going on a national tour in August playing mostly electric bass but also some upright. The music director told me that some of the venues will be able to rent an upright bass as part of the backline and so he asked me for specs on a bass I would want. I have never done this before so I'm not sure what I shoul ask for. I figured the obvious stuff would include size, setup, and strings. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    What do you use now? D neck or Eb neck--- that would mess me up.

How much arco work? Jazz bridge or Orchestral?

Piezo pickup or miced?

3. Ah yes the pickup would be important. Thank you. It is all jazz stuff, I don't think there is any arco. I actually don't know if my bass is a D neck or Eb neck....:meh:

4. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    If you don't know, I guess it doesn't matter.
    Plenty of help forums to figure it out.

If your use to a jazz bridge (flatter) then an orchestral bridge might feel strange.

5. Ok that's good to know. Thanks!

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Why aren't you just bringing your own bass? If only some of the venues are providing one you'll have to cart it anyway.

7. I'm not bringing my bass because there are 5 or 6 flights on the tour and it would be too complicated. I'll only be playing upright on a few of the tunes but the MD said the songs would sound fine on electric if no upright was available.

8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    You can use an electric upright or you can use one of those Kala U basses.

9. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Put your thumb at the crook of the neck and play the note with your first finger on the G string. If it's a D it's a D neck. Eb= Eb neck.

D necks are MUCH more common than Eb.

If you're doing just jazz a plywood bass is totally acceptable. I feel the bigger issue is what strings are on it. You want something with a great pizz sound like:

Pirastro Obligato
    Pirastro Flat Chromesteels
    D'Addario Helicore Hybrids or Pizzicatio strings

10. Ok, so I am used to playing a D neck. That is good to know. I didn't know that Eb necks existed, I have never played one.

But ya, I think the strings and the pickup are going to be most important. I have been using Spirocores on my bass, but it sounds like this could be a good opportunity to try out some different strings.

11. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Spirocores are a great string. I just find Pirastro's to have a large, round, warm, and resonant pizz, AND sound great arco... Win Win!

Can you give us some cities you'll be at? Perhaps we can direct you towards a rental place.

12. Ya, I have heard good things about the Pirastros. Hopefully I will get to try some out. The MD should be handling the backline, but it would definitely be helpful to know of some rental places in case we run into any problems. Here is the tour schedule:

July 27 2012 Pittsburgh
    July 28 2012 Columbus, Ohio
    July 29 2012 Detroit, MI
    August 1 2012 Chicago Area
    August 3 2012 Minneapolis/St. Paul
    August 5 2012 Denver/Boulder Area
    August 7 2012 Salt Lake
    August 9 2012 Los Angeles
    August 10 2012 San Diego
    August 11 2012 Phoenix
    August 12 2012 San Francisco/San Jose
    August 15 2012 Atlanta, GA
    August 16 2012 Charlotte, NC
    August 17 2012 Raleigh/Durham
    August 18 2012 Virginia Beach
    August 23 2012 New York, NY
    August 24 2012 Philadelphia, PA
    August 25 2012 Washington, D.C.
    August 28 2012 Nashville
    August 31 2012 Jacksonville
    August 31 2012 Jacksonville
    September 1 2012 Tampa
    September 2 2012 Miami/Ft. Lauderdale

13. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    www.rentabass.com How about buying a Chadwick Folding Bass and renting it back to the tour...

14. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    My .02
    For Michigan call Aaron Reiley (son of Steven) at http://aaronsinstruments.com/

For Chicago, there are plenty.. I like Classic Contrabass at http://www.allthingsbass.com
    although she's in the suburbs her setups are awesome...
    Or try Mark Sonksen at http://www.sonksenstrings.com

How much does a night's rental go for? How much do you beat on them?

Columbus... The symphony there is now defunct but I wonder if they have some nice ones somewhere..

Erich - thanks for that link.. Very cool.

15. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I just went to rentabass and in Forest Park it has Richard Armandi's name. (Forest Park is very close to Chicago).... Anyway, I know him and he's a huge jazzer (and great guy) so his instruments will be setup well for that... I'd call him.

For "Chicago - downtown" it has a guy from A440 listed... I've had mixed results with them.

16. Gene Fryer

Gene Fryer Banned

Apr 28, 2012
    greenfield tn
    recommend you print out Gollihur's bass luthier directory and take it with you. Gollihur music.com. Also, if you are a member of the ISB, print out the members info and take it with you. Good luck-flying with an upright is a hassle-can't blame you for trying to do some good planning.

17. Eric - thanks for the link to that site, that is great! Those Chadwick basses are pretty cool. If I was traveling a lot more and had the cash I would definitely look into that. I believe Christian McBride uses one of those.

MostlyBass - Thank you for those referrals!

Gene - The Gollihur directory is another great resource I did not know about. Thank you! I was an ISB member but I think my membership just expired... I'll have to see if I can still get on that