Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Rentals

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by theydolph, Jan 9, 2003.

1. theydolph

theydolph Guest

Oct 26, 2002
    I need help finding a bass rental in the southern Vermont/western Mass area any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    What he said. I was looking for a small bass for my nephew, and rental would have cost $720/year! I bought him a good quality 1/8th size Chinese laminated bass with the guarentee that the full purchase price would be credited to any trade in. Even if he loses interest in a year, I can still sell the bass and get most of my investment back.

The nephew and I have a deal: It's my bass until he gets to 3/4 size, and then if he stays with it, it's his. Now if I can just turn his brother into a drummer or keyboard player...

3. theydolph

theydolph Guest

Oct 26, 2002
    Thanks for the advice. The consensus seems to be that buying is better than renting but I'm not in the best position to shell out 2k. I guess it will be worth it in the long run.

4. Try The Nahrmann Bass Shop (Billerica) -

vnahrmann@hotmail.com

Herr Nahrmann has many fine basses, including rentals, is knowledgable and is also a thoroughly nice chap...

- Wil

5. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Take out a bank loan. A five year loan on a $2K bass would run what, $40/month? A 2 year loan at 7.5% would run $90/mo. Still a better deal than renting. A home equity loan would be even better.

6. chaurett

chaurett Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Storrs Mansfield
    Hey theydolph. There a shop in Amherst called Stamell Strings (http://www.stamellstring.com/) that rents basses. I haven't been out there in years and I don't know much about the shop so this isn't an endorsment but they seem to have a nice rental program which allows you to put rental money towards the purchase of the instrument. The only bass listed is a Miesel which isn't great but might not be so bad depending on what you want to use it for. Still, it's always best to buy right off the bat and for that make the trip to NYC or check for flyers at the music schools in Boston. It all depends on what you can afford to invest. Good Luck.

7. theydolph

theydolph Guest

Oct 26, 2002
    Thanks alot for all the advice. I am going to check my finances and maybe I could purchase a bass right off the bat. Thanks again.