Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass repair in the UK - cracked top

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Bass Camel, Jan 28, 2005.

1. My first post on the forum :D

I am searching for my frst DB in the UK.

I have just looked at and tried an Andreas Zeller solid top bass. It has a large crack in the top on the right shoulder that runs vertically from the top edge to the edge of the C bout. The seller doesn't think it affects the tone or is a risk to the instrument but if I bought the bass I would want to have it repaired.

I don't want to spend more repairing this one than the cost of a new one (~£1100 - £1300 depending on supplied extras).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob
    :ninja:

2. allthumbs

allthumbs

Dec 30, 2004
    South Devon, UK
    I'm no luthier, but based on your description I think I'd be inclined to keep looking for a non-cracked bass, even if the seller is prepared to give you a substantial discount. I don't see there's much mileage in buying an instrument with a serious fault like that, particularly a "stock" bass like a Zeller.

If there's something about this one bass you particularly like though, why not show it to your local luthier and get their opinion and an estimate on the repair costs. Then you can negotiate! If the seller isn't prepared to let you do that I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Even so, by the time you've forked out for the repair you may as well have bought a new one. Or have spent that money on getting another bass set up just the way you want it, rather than repairing a crack.

Just my 2p worth! :D

3. Allthumbs,
    thanks for your reply, I just needed someone else to say it.

The search continues!

Rob
    :ninja: