Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass repair question

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by azflyman, Sep 23, 2004.

1. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Here is a question that I need opinions on. I will be moving to the northwest in December (Astoria, OR area). I have a 1938 Alfred Meyer carved bass in need of top and rib repair (cracks) and a new fingerboard. The question is should I have it repaired here in Arizona where it is now aclimated before the move (or have the process started in AZ and shipped to Astoria when finished) or send it to Gary Upton for reapir in CT as the climate is much more like where the bass will live? This bass has been rode hard and put away wet a few times but is reasonably sound structurally. I may take it to Astoria as is and try to find someone in the area I trust but I think it will be difficult being new to the area.

So, what say ye all?

az

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You should be hearing from Paul any minute now.

3. azflyman, i'll be more than happy to help you with your question when you tell me the CORRECT name for that thing you call the "FRETBOARD!! :scowl:

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    There are excellent luthiers in the Portland area. Let the bass acclimate there before you do the work. Otherwise you'll probably be doing it twice. Paul, dittos on the "fretboard" comment...

5. I know for a fact there are some very good luthiers in portland. I get all my work done at Hammond Ashleys in Seattle, and would recommend it to anyone.

Have fun in Astoria.. go see the Goonies house. I've never been there, but I hear its real nice

6. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I'll second that! (opens map prog) Here's a list to start with:

Portland:
    Pete's Bass Shop (503) 777-7027
    Cat Man Music (503) 630-3827

Seattle:
    Hammond Ashley: (206) 878-3456
    Barrett Basses: (360) 732-4100

And I'll bet there are more. These are the bass-only or primarily bass shops that I know of up there. Check Bob G's page (commonly known as the real DB links page) for more, and call around til someone gives you the warm and fuzzy feelings you're looking for.

G/L with the new surfboard! Or is it diving board? Ironing board? Toe board maybe? You know, the ebony thingabobber. :)
    John

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have seen your pics in the past. You have a nice handmade German Bass. To treat it right, do what Arnold recommends. Let the Bass settle in it's new home and have it repaired over the winter when the climate is dry. To send it back east would be a mistake as it will start to adjust 'after' the repair is done instead of before.. Acclimation is the key.....

It is not uncommon to open a Bass a few years later to 'touch up' the previous work done once the Bass has setteled and accepted what it will accept. You cannot force wood........... It's like an organ transplant when you restore a Bass......... it may take or it may reject a little depending on 'who knows' . Give you Bass the benifit of time............

8. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    OK its fixed, damn, you play a slab for 28yrs and change in a heartbeat, I think not!

az

9. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    The Alfred Meyer story from the info I have is really quite interesting. The Meyer's (I believe father and son) only made bass type instruments. Nothing other than cellos and basses. No production lines or other employees from my research. If anyone knows any more (Ken, dig out the books please) I would be glad for more info.

You know, fret... err fingerboards and such ;)

az

10. There ya go.......Sorry, it's just one of my things! Thanks! :D

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    So...what kinda shape is the headstock in?... :bag:

12. :D

13. Bass or owner?

14. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    So, any personal experience with any of the luthiers in the Portland area? Warm fuzzy's do not replace skill. I work with physician's, mostly Surgeons, Cardiologists, and Cardiovascular surgeons all day. Few will give you warm fuzzy's; all teeth, hair, and bad attitude, but that does not mean they are not excellent at what they do.

Kind of like Warmbottom, sometimes a curmudgeon, but excellent at what he does.

I want somebody that is excellent, I don't really care if they are friendly. Hell, I am not very friendly at times :eyebrow:

az

15. Ya callin' Mr. Warmbooty a curmudgeon just 'cause he gags when he hears a fingerboard called a fretboard?
    Methinks there's more curmudgeonly folk among us than Paul. Not that I'm complainin'...

16. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Mr. WierdBohmann has more talent sleeping than I will ever have. I don't think he feels threatened. I am just amused at what flips his switch :eek:

az

17. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Well I think you've atoned for your misidentification of the fingerboard by doing an excellent Kung-Fuqua on Paul. ;)
    Paul's here to keep us honest and true, and doing a fine job of it. And if you remain true to the craft, or just lucky (my case), you may make your way to Paul's emailing list of ribald humor, an honor I appreciate quite regularly.

18. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Oh, and back on topic, hmmm...
    The word on the street is Pete's a very good repairman, Cat Man is a helluva varnish man, HA has a great reputation spanning decades, and I haven't had the opportunity to meet Mr. Barrett or seen his work. I hope to meet him at the VSA convention in a few months.

19. Thanks John, my dear! :D