1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Resistance!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Jeff, May 16, 2018 at 5:04 PM.

1. Captain Jeff

Captain Jeff

May 6, 2018
    I mean, not actual resistance, we're all free, but I wanted to ask why most of the guitar cabs are at 16, 8 and 4 ohms when most of the bass cabs are at 8 and 4 ohms? What's wrong with the 16 ohms bass cabinets that they do not exist? :unsure:

Fxpmusic likes this.
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    You can get more power out of a SS amp at a lower impedance. As we need power to reproduce the lower frequencies, lower impedance is a way to get it.

slugger, -Asdfgh-, Lobster11 and 7 others like this.
  3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Nothing!!!! They did exist!!!!!! :laugh:

I played one! But you need four of them to build a wall of sound!
    (are you ready to pay for that?)

Wise(b)ass

4. Resistance is feudal.

slugger, Sixgunn, -Asdfgh- and 25 others like this.
  5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Never assume that what is good for guitar is also good for bass. Sure, an ocelot and a Bengal tiger are both felines, but...

Aqualung60 and the harp unstrung like this.
  6. Impedance is modern.

7. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I think Quilter is offering some 16-ohm bass speakers, which helps prevent blowing the heck out of them with the newest super-powered lightweight amps that are available. I actually like the feel that I get at lower wattage playing either of my Streamliners through a 16-ohm stack. It protects the speakers from overpowering (so I can stop worrying about speaker damage and just play) while giving me more of a driven tone and feel from the amp. As long as you're getting sufficient volume, IMO the higher ohm cabs are more desirable. If you absolutely have to have every last watt from a lower-powered SS amp, then lower ohms are the way to go.

BadExample likes this.
  8. nbsipics

nbsipics Had to Cry Today Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    My Doctor says I have impeadance. Does that count?

9. Take the blue pill. Then stand tall brotha.

Charlzm, nbsipics, Loring and 4 others like this.
  10. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Akk cent chew ate The Positive Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Talk to your Doctor and see if Impee’Dance may be right for you.

nbsipics, Aqualung60, Stumbo and 3 others like this.
  11. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I used to wish my old guitarist had a 32 ohm cabinet. Using a 100 watt Marshall in a club is senseless.

mikeyjm2, Artman, MYLOWFREQ and 4 others like this.
  12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    A lot of the British guitar amps used 16 ohm speakers (Marshall, Hiwatt, Vox, Orange). These amps had 16, 8, and 4 ohm taps. Fender tended to use 4 or 8 ohm speakers and their output transformers typically had only one tap...usually either 4 or 8 ohms. Ampeg was the big dog for bass and the fridge is 4 ohms. SVTs have two taps, 4 and 2 ohms. Perhaps the relative ubiquity of each has something to do with current conventions.

Hiwatt amps were considered general purpose. The DR405 and DR201 had series parallel switching with four output jacks so it was possible to use these heads with an extremely wide variety of speaker configuration. I am sure many bass players used 16 ohm speakers with their Hiwatt amps.

13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO, Not a good idea with a Marshall unless you like shorted OTs. They seem to tolerate good attenuators fairly well.

14. A better question is why guitar cabs usually come in 16ohm and 8ohm, instead of the 8ohm and 4ohm that bass cabs usually come in.

15. Because geetars suck? :D

16. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Las Vegas
    If you have high impedance for more than four hours, seek medical attention right away.

gln1955, el murdoque, Frank77 and 4 others like this.
  17. Captain Jeff

Captain Jeff

May 6, 2018
    Uh, sure? There is no thing that I assumed, I just asked why, fellow bassman.

I see, though I'm all about vintage sounds, so lightweight new amps aren't really what I'm looking for!:thumbsup:

Oh, really? I think he just should turn the volume down. I prefer the sound of a stack/half stack, so it's obvious that I'd take my halfstack even for smaller gigs :)

Also a good point!:thumbsup:

You also play a geetar :roflmao:

18. I do not.

If you heard me play, you might also say I do not play bass geetar.

:laugh::roflmao::laugh:

19. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Vintage tone is what I'm all about too--both the Quilter BB800 and Streamliner deliver it. There are quite a few other lightweight amps that go for vintage sounds from what I've read here. It's great to have these options. :)

Frank77 and BadExample like this.
  20. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    Actually, some Marshall cabinets came with a switch so you could split it into stereo at 8 ohms per side or mono at either 16 or 4 ohms. I believe some Crate cabinets did also.