1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Resistance!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Jeff, May 16, 2018.

1. Captain Jeff

Captain Jeff

May 6, 2018
    Yeah, I also noticed that functionality.

Forgot to mention, but can't he cut the power output in half with pento triodes?

I'm sure it works well, but with vintage sound comes vintage wieght (probably not, of course, but that's just how I want to feel xD). You know, you've got to feel the heaviness of the blues. Life ain't easy. Good material for a song! But honestly honest now, what I like about heavy gear is that:
    1. It hardly ever breaks (of course, there are many factors, but with a good maintenance - it is a fact. (Also, I'm not saying that lightweight stuff does, it may be a common feature :smug:))
    2. It tightens the bonds of the bandmembers. It would be hard to carry heavy stuff alone, so we all love to help each other and there is no rejection. I have a 40kg 410 cab and neither my guitarist or drummer refused to help me.
    3. You can feel the blues and 70s. :bassist:

2. Captain Jeff

Captain Jeff

May 6, 2018
    I had absolutely no idea :woot:

BadExample likes this.
  3. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

See, with bass cabs it makes sense for lower impedance, since many bass amps are solid state.

However, tube bass heads don't seem to usually have taps for 16ohms, so that can't be the reason that guitar cabs are 16ohms. Presumably you could make a tube guitar amp with 8, 4, 2 ohm taps just as easily as a tube bass amp with such.

4. G-Z

G-Z

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    Jeez. I read the title and thought the time had finally come.
    Tooled-up and ready to dig in.
    All disappointed now.

the harp unstrung likes this.
  5. Captain Jeff

Captain Jeff

May 6, 2018
    Sorry, I want to post about revolution against worldwide communism tomorrow :(

Yeah, the question is still there. Just why?

G-Z likes this.
  6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Hmmm, I would prefer a different sort of revolution.

Maybe 16 ohm guitar cabs are just an example of a sort of institutional inertia? Like they're commonly 16 ohms because they've been that way for decades, and unlike with bass amps, there's no real pressure to change that? Whereas with bass amps, solid state power amps increasing in popularity put pressure on manufacturers to standardize to lower impedance, and makers of tube bass amps followed suit.

7. Captain Jeff

Captain Jeff

May 6, 2018
    You know, that partially makes sense, but I don't think that's the reason. Look, everything has been improving for years, if lower impedance cabinets would be more efficient - they'd already be this way. It has to be something else. But what might that be?

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Lead, follow o' get out the way! Or us it Peed, foll...whatever works.

the harp unstrung and QweziRider like this.
  9. G-Z

G-Z

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    I'll put it in my diary.

10. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    You can still blow a 16 ohm cab,

11. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    ........nice......+1

dreamadream99 likes this.
  12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Bass players prefer numbers on the low end. It’s as simple as that.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  13. Captain Jeff

Captain Jeff

May 6, 2018
    I love that explanation a lot. :D

beans-on-toast likes this.
  14. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    this.

The major part of guitar players use tube amps where the output watts are not limited by the impedance - and
    guitar rigs are loud enough because their frequencies are the most prominent for the human ear.
    While bass rigs with tubes never went out of style, many bassists use SS amps with 500+ watts into 4 ohms - and to get the SS poweramp to deliver the full blast into two cabs, the 8 ohm cabs are as popular as they are.

15. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    4 ohms is good for most 4-string basses.

You need at least 8 ohms for 5+ strings.

Guitarists use 16ohm cabs because they also play 12-string guitars. It's always good to have a little headroom.

Hope this helps.

LYNCHMAN, Wisebass and beans-on-toast like this.
  16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Sound guys can't count past 2 - on 3 you have to lift something, so they just don't go there.
    Bassists? Well, unless you allow us to take our shoes off, some of us can't get past 10, so 16 ohms is pretty much uncharted territory for our brains.

17. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Futile

18. LYNCHMAN

LYNCHMAN

Nov 15, 2017
    Richmond VA
    if i'm running 2 cabs i'm gonna want them to be 8 ohm cabs...if i'm running 1 cab i want it to be 4 ohm...
    if i'm running all my cabs then ...well we're talking about multiple amps now....

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  19. For moderate to severe impedance.

the harp unstrung likes this.
  20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Every power amp I own is safe with 2Ω loads on each channel. Knowing this I ordered my cabinets with a 4Ω impedance. I can run one cabinet on a single channel. Two one on each channel and if I’m a little nuts all four, two per channel.

Back in the day I used a 16Ω Marshall 4x12 with tube amps.