1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass response on a Tascam DR1

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by butchblack, Jul 22, 2012.

1. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Hi All

When recording my band using a Tascam DR1 I find the bass to be very down in the mix, though it sounds fine live. I'm using the built in mics. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of trying a regular mic. Am I just expecting too much from a small hand held recorder?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Pull the recordings into a DAW, even Audacity, and EQ them. Many mastering tools, EQ, are meant just for this.

3. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    You might be expecting too much, then again - maybe not! I've been pretty shocked at how full frequency some writing demos with my loud surf/punk band have been. Recorded into a webcam in the guitarists house!

Check any limiter/comp settings (go for less) & possibly reposition the Tascam recorder in the room.

4. butchblack

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    I use Audacity and it helps a bit but often times to pull up enough bass causes everything else to go muddy. Of course, being a bassist I like a lot of bass in the mix.

5. I've got the Tascam DR-40 and while its a great handheld recorder the bass does get diminished somewhat in the recording process.

You can compensate for that somewhat in the DAW, but as you said that can muddy the overall sound.

External micing is probably the way to go, but then there's the relative expense of a decent mic that will reproduce the bass more accurately.

Added: Here's someone's comparison of the DR-1 using internal and external mics. http://www.bradlinder.net/2008/06/short-review-of-tascam-dr-1.html

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If the internal mics diminish the bass, it may still be solvable with EQ. Try a parametric.

If you can get a DI from your bass, you can record this on another digital device then use audacity to mix them. Make sure you record at the same sample speed i.e. 41500
    Getting the tracks to sync up isn't such a big deal these days. Digital isn't like the old analog stuff.
    Pull the tracks into your software, and line them up.

7. butchblack

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    I tried hooking up an vocal mike to the 1/4" mono receptacle. It seems I got much better bass pick up. I may still need to do some EQing but it should be much less.

Does anyone else using Audacity have a problem using the parametric EQ? It keeps crashing on me. I have to use the simpler EQ

8. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    I've used mine to record rehearsals and shows for years without having any issues with bass response. What I have found though, is that placement of the unit when recording will have an impact on the amount of bass response captured by the internal mics. For rehearsals, I place it about 5 feet from my rig, which is to about 5 feet to the left of the drums, and 2 feet to the right of the guitar rig. Keys, and vocals are run through a PA that is about 3 feet to the left of the guitar rig. For shows, I just set it up in the back of the room, and it catches the sound from the PA. Hope this helps.

dee

9. I can't speak for Tascam but I use a Sony PCM-M10. Despite
    great reviews, the internal microphones just don't cut it.
    I hooked up a pair of high quality EV microphones and HOLY COW!
    This thing gets some incredible recordings now.