Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass restoration opportunity?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sean p, Jan 30, 2006.

1. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    thought i'd call to attention an opportunity on ebay for somebody interested in restoring a bass. it's a damaged juzek in need of some love, which the seller details.

the title is "Juzek string bass restoration project" and the ebay # is 7386490182.

sean p

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    That thing is evidence of crimes against humanity!

3. ::gasp:: The horror!!

4. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    holy****, they just nailed right into the bassbar!!!
    i don't know if that or the block of wood under the tailgut that ended up killing the ribs and the top is worse.

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Nice saddle.

6. :eek: :crying: :bawl:

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    My Opinion, "GET OUT THE MARSHMELLOWS">>>>>>>>>>>>>

LOL.... Actually, that would be a good Bass for a shop apprentice to learn on since we all know the repairs done correctly will greatly exceed the value of the Bass.

Attention current Owner, I was just kidding about the marshmellows. Actually though, some good old 'Ball Park Franks' are more of what I had in mind..LOL...........

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The way that saddle is deforming the wood beneath it...

Makes my stomach curdle

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
  10. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    During the last minute of the Super Bowl, I watched this Bass go from $980. to $1,602.77 in the last 15 seconds of the Bidding. The Game is still on (Seattle with no chance!) but the Auction is over.

11. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    I'm afraid i was reponsible for getting it up to $1400.almost got it.

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You a daredevil or something?

13. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    I think even at 1500 it's a steal for the right person. i would have gone to 1800 if i had the bread.

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Hmmm. An old Juzek (deep breath, KSB) in semi-working order and needing tires, struts, exhaust (fingerboard, bridge, strings, setup, etc.) for $1,500 would be a steal. But, that thing from current condition to playable is the stuff of Mary Shelley - or Mel Brooks.

15. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    We all know after several threads on Juzek and Wilfer and Export grade Basses (from Germany/Czech) what we can expect once you open them up. They do have the ability of sounding good within its class but even after a great restoration those holes from the BassBar repair will always be visible. That in itself will de-value the Bass. The Rib/Block area at the bottom and top cracks are not hard to fix and be accepetd but the Scars from the Bassbar Abortion will detract buyers at market price.

With as many Juzek/Wilfer Basses circulating in USA it is just like real estate. As long as there is an abundant supply of them in fair or better condition, the Value will stay where they are.

As I mentoned earlier this is a good apprentice project or a do-it-yourselfer.

16. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    "As I mentoned earlier this is a good apprentice project or a do-it-yourselfer." Ken Smith

this is exactly how i saw this instrument and why i bid on it.