1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Retailers and Repair list

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TRichardsbass, Dec 12, 2011.

1. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    I did a gig in Pennsylvania last week, and at the last minute I had an equipment malfunction. Not being from this area and never having played in this part of PA, I had a hard time finding what I needed.

So I would like to start a thread of places, mom and pop or small chain, NOT GC, SMASH, yada, where a guy like me could go to find a good selection of basses, decent supplies of parts like strings, picks, pickups, and great customer service. That way, if we need, we can always come here when we are on the road.

I'll start with these in NJ:

Russo Music, Asbury Park and Hamilton. Carry a lot of high end, including Orange, Hartke, GK, Ampeg, Fano basses and US Fender, Gibson, G&L. Open late on weekends for musicians, and, in a pinch, they will send someone to the store to open up if you have a gig and a major malfunction.

New Jersey Guitar and Bass Center, Metucheon. Jay has maybe the best vintage stuff on the wall, and carries Music Man and Rick. He also has tons of new and vintage parts should you need them.

Monmouth Music, Red Bank. Limited bass selection, although they carry all the Fender, Squier, Gibson and Epiphone models, usually in all the options. Only place so far I've seen all the Squier Jag models, and several in color choices. Also, if you need a precision, they have ALL the models to choose from.

Freehold Music, Freehold. Not the largest selection, but the staff is incredibly knowledgeable and often can pull out what you need. They also have a sister store, Bayshore Music. Maybe the largest display of DR strings I've seen other then in the DR factory.

Okay everyone, give me yours!

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Sacramento area: SonFather Guitars in Rocklin - open M,W,F only. But honest, fast, and price work fairly.
    Repairs

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    in southeast VA, i'm pretty proud of where i work.

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    In the Phlly PA area... Bass Specialties.

5. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Thanks for this one. Darn, a whole bunch of high end stock, and not far from center city. Yeah!

6. Great thread idea!

Allow me to contribute for Nashville, TN: Corner Music. Everyone is great to work with, but if JD is there, he's the guy to talk to.

and your drummer will love Fork's Drum Closet next door.

I'm sure there are many others, but I highly recommend popping in to Corner and Fork's the next time you're in Nashvegas.

7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    And Glenn is a super nice guy... knows his stuff as well.

8. paradog

paradog

Dec 25, 2011
    Central NJ
    This place is a gold mine of musical instruments and Jay is a real professional. Always eager to help and plug you in! I've spent hours in this place wondering if I should buy the Pedulla or vintage Fender or the Dingwall.....oh my I think I need to go tomorrow!

9. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Rainbow Guitar in Tucson. Excellent repairs good selection of vintage. Good selection of new equipment & instruments.