Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Revamp

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jbabs688, May 30, 2005.

1. jbabs688

jbabs688

Apr 21, 2005
    I have this junky Squier P-Bass sitting around and i thought i might try to make it look nicer. I plan on getting some good pups for it and maybe defret it. Its white with a white pickguard and i want to change it. i know i can spray paint it but that seems kind of ghetto. any other options as far as changing the color and/or putting a design on it? thanks

2. Doing it with spray cans doesn't have to be down home if you do it right. Since you are starting with a poly finish you can't take all of the finish off to start with a new one. You are lucky because you've got a white one and that's the best base color to start with - you can go anywhere. The key to making a cheap but quality looking finish is quickly developing a good spray can technique and using a deep, rich clearcoat on top of your color. Your Squier has a poly coating and that can be the base for anything, even lacquer. Try this site for just about everything including some instruction: www.reranch.com