1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass reverb pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Timmy-Watts, May 17, 2016.

1. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hi all.

I don't use a lot of effects, and I have done all the searches, but still want to pick the brain of the vast collective experience here and get suggestions on a reverb pedal.

Here's what I want it to do:
    1. Add slight room reverb to make my looping 6 string bass solo performances more live sounding and not so dry.

2. To add a little oomph and space to bass lines on those instances where I want the bass guitar to sound more like the upright. Like a late bloom, fast decay.

3. And to add dimension to slap parts. This may be a better job for a delay pedal set very fast.

I guess I'd want a lot of control, and some sort of filtering to focus on more or less highs or lows, and obviously, control over the dry/wet mix. The ability to save presets and toggle is a plus, but I can't imagine using more than one of these applications on the same gig. Just experimenting here.

I should slso say that I have owned some multi effects pedals, most recently the Zoom MS60B, but I can't get over the noise they bring from just being on my board. Off the top of my head, the source audio pedal looks nice.

What say you, talkbass?

2. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Get a zoom ms-60b. One standard sized pedal. does up to four effects at a time. Nice room reverb. Nice boosters, exciter, nice EQs, compressors, etc, etc. nice price.

Dave Neal, Snowglo, matty1039 and 2 others like this.
  3. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    The Lotus Pedal Designs FK CKNCR will do 1, 2, and 3 for you. It doesn't have a lot of controls or presets, however. I use it as my reverb and LOVE IT!

FK CNCR

4. Timmy-Watts

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I just sold mine. I didn't like the amount of noise it added to my chain even just by being powered on. Even bypassed.

blindrabbit likes this.
  5. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC

Were you using a multi device power supply? It will do that. Give it its own one spot though and no noise. At least that's how mine was.

6. Timmy-Watts

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yes. Even when it was the only pedal I used.

7. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Hmmm, strange. Mine is incredibly quiet. I only run it in the studio though. No flourescent lights anywhere nearby or other machines on the same circuit.

8. Source audio dimension there are some great demos on YouTube of what the pedal can do

blindrabbit and Sgt. Rock like this.
  9. Yes if you want a quality reverb unit with a LOT of control over the parameters without a high price tag, definitely check out the Source Audio Dimension 2 Reverb.

Dimension Reverb

sb2_dr_panel.

Farrin D, johnk_10, torza and 4 others like this.
  10. freedomryder

freedomryder

Nov 21, 2012
    Seattle area
    Timmy-Watts likes this.
  11. I'd recommend a tc flashback with the janek gwizdala sausage and beer toneprint for the main fingerstyle soloing sound. It's a delay but check it out you'll see what I mean.

the newer Reverbs can be very nice also. Shimmer type reverbs are nice for a synth pad type of vibe which is great to start a loop with and then play bass over. I really like modulated reverb for chordy bits. And it can be used as a chorus if you make the reverb less extreme.

You'll find these types of reverbs in most of the newest generation of reverbs including the digitech polara, the new mxr reverb, the boss rv-7, the strymon Blue sky and big sky, the older hardwire supernatural, the line 6 m5 does have the octiverb and particleverb which are cool for pad sounds and basic reverbs but doesn't have a modulated reverb like the others.

Esoge, Jroc07 and Timmy-Watts like this.
  12. TC electronics "hall of fame" has fit all my reverb needs. Highly recommend

JC87, lucretius, blindrabbit and 3 others like this.
  13. Grapevine921

Grapevine921

Feb 8, 2011
    The Digitech Polara is a fun one to play with. Lots of good reverb sounds on tap.

Nephilymbass and blindrabbit like this.
  14. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
  15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Iron Either Nimbus.

Marial, cdlynch and blindrabbit like this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

@Timmy-Watts - ^This. I must have tried every reverb out there. When the dust settled, I got a Nimbus.

full.

So seek no further. A Iron Ether Nimbus is what you want. It will do everything on your wish list except presets. It's fully analog.

Download the manual from the website. I think it'll surprise you how well thought out the control set is.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    cdlynch, blastbass and blindrabbit like this.
  17. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    Open your horizons! I use an 80's Roland RE-501 for my bass reverb needs.

18. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    I purchased the Digitech reverb pedal initially because it had some cool sounding reverb programs licensed from lexicon, but I ended up trading it in for the Tech 21 Boost RVB. In the end I liked it a little better. It is warmer sounding and pairs better with some of the other effects I use It's definitely a keeper for me. Great product!

19. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I just picked up an MXR Reverb, mostly for the Pad function. Have been reworking my pedalboard and haven't had a chance to play it yet, but if you're interested I'll let you know when I get a chance to play it.

Timmy-Watts likes this.
  20. I am having great luck with my TC Electronic HOF mini. The tone prints are very cool.