Bass Reviews

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acacia, May 7, 2001.

1. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Now if they would only update more than once every century :)
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Christopher - Amen to that. It is very stagnant. But it is a nice reference to have.

The 20 point grading scale makes for very vague ratings, (e.g., Is 15 vs. 17 much of a difference?...too subtle). Plus, the string reviews are all one man's point of view. That may be a plus in terms of providing a consistent standard, but I'd rather see what a variety of people think and see if there's a consensus, like in TB forums.
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Good info. Tone and playability are pretty subjective criteria.
  4. I've known about this site for a few months now, and I've gotten a lot of info off of it. The stuff is kind of outdated, and a lot of the reviews are often incomplete, but there's a lot of good stuff on it.
  5. CJY

Apr 30, 2001
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Harmony Central reviews, however, are even less discriminating than the ones at Matt Schmill's site.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The reviews right here at TB are generally good quality, IMO. Dave Bradford and MikeyD put up a couple of excellent reviews recently. The TB reviews don't seem to fall prey to -

A. The, "I feel I got jacked by the manufacturer/vendor and I going to take it out on them here," rant,

B. The, "This is the most awesome piece of gear since the 1936 Rickenbacker bass amp, because I own it, (and, oh, by the way, it is the second amp I've owned)," rant.

Too bad the TB review library isn't larger.
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    There are too many 100's in the BGRA ratings if you ask me. Nevertheless, the reviews there are fun to read.