Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Riff Challenge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 2, 2001.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    OK
    i have issued a challenge for myself
    i would like to know what all you people out there think is the hardest bass riff to play
    If you can tell me then i want to try and play it
    THANKs CYA!

2. Depending on how long you have been playing bass, and what level you are.
    Let me know and I'll find one for you.

3. Try "Tommy the Cat" from Primus. It might be really easy or really hard, I don't know how it will work for you.

4. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    "Taxman" from the Beatles has some tricky changes to it, I thought.

But here goes:

Overall fingerstyle song-"Refried Funky Chicken" Dixie Dregs. Hard to keep it clean/ in sync with the guitar.

Endurance wise: TIE "What is Hip?" Tower of Power, or "Wang Dang..." (or most any other 9 minute Ted Nugent song...)

Slap Bass: "Tommy the Cat" is a good call, but I'll go with "Bonin in the Boneyard" by Fishbone...especially if you try and pull off the solo!

Picked Bass: Yngwie Malsmsteen is supposed to have recorded the bass part to "Magic Mirror" on the Trilogy album.

General Timing/ tightness: "We Were Born to Be Loved" from King's X. Especially the outro...what a killer song! Album! Band!

Groove: I dunno...either the "Powerage" album from AC/DC, or Keb Mo's "Just Like You" album

I'm still missing a bunch...and I can hardly play ANY of the above!

Best Wishes

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm gonna run to the other end of the spectrum on this - "Tobacco Road" from Edgar Winter's White Trash. This one is sooooo slow and basic, it'll test your ability to keep even time.

Lots of King Crimson stuff will keep you thinking:
    "The Great Deceiver" - fast riffs, intertwined with odd times
    "Prozac Blues" - sounds easy until you realize that the "groove" feel has been laid out, and it ain't simple

6. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    tommy the cat is really hard to play the whole thing and not lose rhythm on it and on top of it the solo is holy ****...try classical thump by victor wooten lol i can play parts of it fun tho...ZOMBIE THEAD!!

7. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    victor wooten's version of norwegian wood.

8. Okay, you'll laugh at first, but here's something I want you to try. Look up the song "That Thing You Do". Then print off this tab: http://www.911tabs.com/link/?207762

Now the fun part......

Play it at double the correct speed. THAT is fun.