1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Rig cutting out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CriminalCypress, Dec 14, 2015.

1. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

Mar 19, 2011
    NC
    Long time since i've used these threads but since i'm in the market for new gear I know this is the best place to go.

Anyway, I was quite a younger person when i got together my first bass rig, and now that i'm starting to realize i need to setup a better one, I decided to sell it off, add some money to what i get, and invest in a louder rig. Only problem is, I've been having problems with it that might be able to prevent me from fetching a better price. I currently use a three year old AmpegPF350 through an 8 ohm Yorkville 4x10.
    I joined a band and the shows we've been playing are forcing me to really crank it on the head in order to be heard, and after about 2 minutes the fault light would permanently turn on and the rig will just stop making noise, except for an occasional crackle or thump. I'd have to let the head rest for a few minutes before going at it again, where the problem would just repeat

I'm assuming this has all to do with the class D's overload protection, and i shouldn't be worried about the quality of the head. I'd test it out if I could but I've left my cab back at my drummer's place 3 hours away.

Anyway, if all is fine I'll probably get around $350 together for a new head, and hopefully i can run into some more money for a new cab. Any recommendations for something in that price range. or might it be more important to switch to a cabinet with 4 ohms?

Sorry for all the questions, any help is appreciated though!

2. Sounds like you might be turning up too loud and the head is going in to overheat/protect mode. Getting another similar 4x10 cab to add to your current setup might be the cheapest short term solution - assuming the head can handle a 4 ohm load. That would be 8x10 total with more watts behind it - your volume should increase noticeably - enough so that you can back down on the volume and stop the head from "overloading". Maybe.

Besides the gain/volume controls, whats your eq setting? Backing DOWN on the bass knob will "open up" some wattage to be used to push mids instead - resulting in less work for your head and louder volume, though of course less of that low end "feel".

3. Too bad you are no longer under warranty. Either the head has a fault or you have a serious problem in the cab. A single 4 ohm cab is a bad bet IF you need to be LOUD, unless you are talking about an 810, 610 or 412 cab. Stay with an 8 ohm and add a second for loudness.

4. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

Mar 19, 2011
    NC
    Yeah i usually have the treble set above everything else, bass at around 3 and mids at 12. I'll still probably sell the head for a new one, just because i'd like something a lot more sturdy and trustworthy. Would buying a 350-500 watt amp @ 4 ohms work well with two 8 ohm cabs?

5. Yes. Two 8 ohm cabs make a 4 ohm load for the amp head as well.

I would still contact Ampeg/LOUD Tech about your troubles with the PF-350. There were very early ones that had troubles, although with 4 ohm loads. Never hurts to ask them.

6. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

Mar 19, 2011
    NC
    I learn somethin new everyday!

B-string likes this.
  7. Back down on that bass knob. Sounds like you're effectively scooping mids by boosting bass and treble. You're going to run in to volume problems with any amp and cab trying to set your eq that way in a band setting.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You have thermal shutdown, as you may have surmised.
    Short term fix: Drop bass EQ to 11am, raise mids to 3pm, and cut treble to 1pm.
    A compressor might help.

Sell it and get an 800 watt @ 4 ohms head!

9. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

Mar 19, 2011
    NC
    I actually found a Carvin B800 going for $200 at a local shop, gonna trade the ampeg in for it and add another 8 ohm cab when my next paycheck comes in, I'm stoked on it!

Thanks for all the help yall