1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Rig Help, Hartke 210TP 115XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrShawn2U, Apr 10, 2006.

1. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    Hey all, I am running a Berhinger BX3000 head with a Hartke 210tp cab and a Hartke 115XL cab. The 210 is rated at 150W, the 115 is rated at 200W. I am not happy with my sound right now. Its not that it is horrible, but some what lacking in power perhaps. Also I already blew a speaker out in the 115XL, which has been replaced. I like the 2x10+1x15 setup, I was thinking maybe of adding a 1x18 but not sure on that yet. I just wanted to know if my amp is whats causing my lack of power/sound I want? Also, what would you guys recommend I go with if I just upgrade my amp, I was thinking maybe a SWR 350X? Thanks. :help:

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    My guess is that you would be much happier with a more powerful amp.

The 350X? Maybe, if you like the sound (I do) but you would not be gaining much power wise.

If you can borrow one, try it with your cabs and see if it will work for you. Heck, do that with anything that you are considering, if you are able.

:D

Joe.

3. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Wow, I thought I was the only one...

I am guessing that your head gives off 300 watts of solid state power.

The ohmage and watts could be an issue.
    The manual for the amp head says that you should have your amps running at 4 ohms and power rating of 300+
    The 1x15 cab is probably 8 ohms and 200 watts
    The 2x10 cab is also probably 8 ohms and 150 watts,
    This means that when they are plugged in together they give you 350 watts but now at 4 ohms... So you are fine as far as not having to worry about blowing speakers again and stuff like that.

If you are just starting out and not in a band or anything serious like that then keep your stuff...
    Otherwise, if you are in need of more power and need to be louder because of a band environment and you are serious about bass then you may want to upgrade your stuff in the near future.

I started with Hartke... After a long while, I got an SWR head (mid priced and mid to pro gear) but kept my Hartke Cabs.
    I bought an SWR cab and realize that there is much better sound out there than Hartke can produce. Now I moved to Ampeg and still never had the cash to buy a nice set of cabinets... That is what I am saving for now and get all my "upgrading" over with once and for all.

Look used: Ebay is a plus.

MusiciansFriend has reviews on the head. Some people like it others say:
    "but unfortunately the power amplifier section has a hollow sound. I wouldn't recommend to buy it."
    But when you put the pressure on, it fails to hold up for serious sound quality and presence. The more I played through it I started asking "Why is my sound so muddy and lost?" If you want a "REAL BASS SOUND", Go AMPEG!, Like I did. My DAD always told me, "You get what you pay for."

With that in mind, think of your head as a starter and that it will hold down the fort until you can get some high end stuff.

4. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    Yes, I am in a band and do need more. I am thinking of going with the Ampeg SVT-3 pro. My question is, with that head would I be pushing too much for my cabs? It pushes 450w at 8 ohms, I think 300W at 4 ohms. Also, I am thinking I am possibly not running my current set up correctly. The BX3000 has two outputs, and I use one for each cab, effectively running at 8ohms I think. If I run one out and piggy back the speakers would that give me more? Till recentley I have always used combo amps, so I am not great with setting up a solid stack. Thanks for the help.

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    No, it will be fine. You can use the headroom but what you have to remember is to LISTEN to what is coming out of your speakers. YOU are ultimately responsible for using your equipment wisely. Regardless of what head you get, YOU will need to learn to use your equipment. If the sound is distorted and sounds like crud, then TURN IT DOWN! (I'm not trying to shout, just emphasize.)

No, 275w@8ohms and 450@4ohms.

No, you are doing it right. Your output jacks are wired in parallel so if you plug two 8ohm cabs into your head you are running at 4ohms.

It will be the same as running each cab out form the head.

:D

Joe.

6. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    Ok thanks Joe, this all came up when we played this weekend. I had enough to be able to hear myself ok, but the sound was incredibly muddy. At lower volumes the Berhinger is decent, but it just can't keep up in a bigger room. I might have found an SVT3-Pro for about $600, if so I think I will probably buy it!

7. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    ok, well I bought a new head, too good a deal to pass up. If I dont like it I can always sell it later for probably the same money. Now my question is, what am I going to need for speakers, I like low end in my sound. Would a good 410 give me what I want, like an SWR Goliath III? Or should I go with somthing else? Also, do you think I will blow up the Hartkes if I run them with the new head? I will definately be wary of clipping.

8. there's a good thread on here about 2-12 cabs. i got rid of my 15" cab some time ago because of the boominess and have loved the 212's ever since. it will likely clean up your sound considerably.

9. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    my guess is that the head is to blame.

i ran the 115 xl with a few different heads. in fact i have one for XXXXX right now. ;-)

actually, i wasnt a fan of the 210 tp. i ofund that using the 210tp and 115xl together with the hartke 5000 (250 watts into each cab) that setup was too bright. the 210 is sealed, and is likely jsut too much mid/high to my liking.

that said, the 115 alone with a better head than ytou have is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the 2 cabs and the head i used ( which i am assuming was better than your beringer, but i dont know. )

hop on ebay and buy a head. try em, resellem, and try em some more. you shoudlnt lose much $$ at all.

my O.