Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass rig help please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wiggly Tyson Ba, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Wiggly Tyson Ba

Wiggly Tyson Ba

Oct 21, 2004
    Sussex
    Yes I did read through the posts before starting this thread and learned a good deal on impedance actually, thank you, but I do have a question.
    I'm new to the gear world realy, i've mainly stuck to a peavey Micro Bass or TKO, but I had the change to upgrade. I came across a Behringer 450 watt ultrabass and a Hartke 4.5 xl 4x10. The cab is 8 ohms while the head is 4 I believe(again, i'm still shaky with impedeance and all that) and as mentioned above the cab is 400 watts while the head is 450.
    is this going to work? Is there somethign I should be worrying about? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, i appears that the top left cone/speaker is vibrating more then the others and causing a kind of rattling noise. It doesnt' sound like it's causing harm or damage to the rig but i' not sure and i'm scared to push the volume of the rig.
    SOrry for such a long post, i'm just antsy about getting everything up and running.
    thank You

Jai

2. It'll work, but havig a higher impedance (ohms) the head will put out a lower amount of power, im guessing about 300 watts, if you look it up it will tell you 450 watts at 4ohms and ***watts at 8 ohms etc

You could always check and see if one of the screws that holds the speaker on is coming loose?

And, to be a dick, there are better heads out there, i'd recommend looking into a peavey nitrobass or firebass or max450/700

3. you should probably get what... 250-300watts out of that cab then? not sure really

4. Wiggly Tyson Ba

Wiggly Tyson Ba

Oct 21, 2004
    Sussex
    THanks for the info. Yeah I know it's not the greatest head but it was dirt cheap and i'm a starving student so I gotta do what I gotta do.
    So since the impedance will lower the wattage that the cab is receiving I dont' have to worry about the 450 watts overpowering the 400 watt cab?

Jai

5. even if the cab was getting 450 watts it'd still be fine as long as you werent clipping, so, yeah, all in all, your fine, dont worry about it

and hey, im a starving student too, student loans are for bass gear!