1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Rig Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eekum, Mar 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Hello, I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on getting a good, stable rig for my bass. I play a '94 Fender Jazz. I just recently started playing with a band again and I need help cutting through the two guitarist and the drummer. We play punk/rock and I am having trouble getting through the band. Both guitarist have tried turning down and the drummer tried playing softer but it just doesn't feel/sound right. Right now I am using a Ampeg BA115HP, the 220 watt version.

My budget is around $500-$600 total for a rack head and cabinet. Is this possible?

I would like to use a single 2x10 cabinet or a 1x15. I have heard good things about the Bugera 210 cab (1600 watts), but that would be half my budget. As for the head, I would like it 350 watts or higher, rack mountable. I think that would be enough to get through the band. I have tried searching the net but reviews are so mixed and it drives me crazy, I thought I would ask the experts on here. I would like to stay away from combo amps, just not interested in them.

I am completely open to suggestions on both the cab and a rack head. Please help me!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    For more volume (at your price point) you need more speaker suface area. More watts won't do it. Higher rated cabs likely won't do it. No 2-10 or 1-15 will do it.

Roughly where in Ohio are you? We need to poke around your local listings and see if we can get you some volume for that kinda money. But another head with one 2-10 or 1-15 cab won't get it.

3. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  4. It will either be really old, or really cheap at that pricepoint.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Location location location!

That is a decent budget with the right vehicle and (depending) your physical condition though. A pair of 410 and a 90's 500 watter lead sled should easily be within reach if you're near Cincy, Columbus, Cleveland, etc.

6. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    HolmeBass and GoLeafsGo like this.
  7. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    I am near Cleveland, but my back isn't what it used to be and lugging that thing around... I honestly worry about the weight and my back. I would say I could leave it at my rehearsal spot but it has to be moved out after we are done. I also drive a Ford Focus lol, that is why I was thinking a 2x10 or 1x15.

I have read that the amp I have now is weirdly quiet for being 220 watts, is this true? And if I were to get a 250 watt head (I prefer rack mountable) and a 2x10 or 1x15, would that work for rehearsal? Or would I be in the same boat?

Lets just say I want a $300-$400 rack head with 300 watts or more, what would you suggest?

What about the Ampeg B2RE?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You scoop your mids, don't you?

instrumentalist and Artman like this.
  9. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Oh, yeah not near Cincy. Well that PF rig won't last long.... That's a steal

foolforthecity likes this.
  10. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    For the rack head, I would say that a preamp (maybe you already use one?) into a power amp would be the best bang for buck. But it will probably be heavy (like most rack mounted heads).

Again, for the cab, good, loud and cheap will probably mean heavy. I would say that 2x 210 cabs would give you the volume you need, but they will work out more expensive than 1x 410.

FunkyD likes this.
  11. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    They are OK, though I wouldnt pay more than 200 bux for one.

12. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Would it be something that could cut through if I paired it with say a 410?

13. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

You're in a classic two out of three situation unfortunately.

Loud
    Light
    Cheap

You can have any combination of two, but not all three.

If it's loud and light, it will be pricey.

If it's loud and cheap, it will be heavy.

If it's light and cheap, it won't be loud.

GERBY, scuzzy, moonbass-de and 23 others like this.
  14. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Lol yeah it seems that way. What if I went with the Ampeg B2RE and a 410 cab? Do you think I would cut through fine?

15. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Again, it would be a jump in volume. But finding a 4-10 that's loud, cheap and won't break your back is a challenge.

P-oddz likes this.
  16. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Save your $$$ and get a real amp.

Mic drop...

aprod and Sixgunn like this.
  17. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I agree, you need to move more air. A 4x10 will work in about any environment.
    Bugera cabinets are measured in Behringer watts, which are very small indeed. It's probably a 300 watt cabinet. They are also made of MDF, which is very heavy, and the joints don't handle shock well. A plywood cab can roll off a loading dock.

18. Meanwhile put all the cabs on stands and pointed at their owners' heads.

19. Drifter_Bass

Drifter_Bass

Apr 5, 2017
    MPLS, MN
    I would also like to toss proper EQ'ing into the conversation. When it comes to volume issues, especially in practice spaces, EQ is every bit as important as volume. Do you guitarist's have bass/mid-heavy rigs? How large are their cabinets? Do they primarily play in neck-position?

Try playing around with EQ or maybe even installing a homemade bass-trap or two in the room you usually practice in. 50% chance that it helps without having to purchase any new gear.

20. Drifter_Bass

Drifter_Bass

Apr 5, 2017
    MPLS, MN
    This is maddeningly true...:(

EatS1stBassist likes this.