1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass rig help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by calebLAHC, Mar 23, 2013.

1. calebLAHC

calebLAHC

Mar 23, 2013
    I am currently running an Orange terror bass head , through an ampeg pro neo 410. My rig is lacking in the high department. What would yall suggest I add or change?

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    High like treble?

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    If you mean you're having trouble cutting through with treble, I'd suggest a preamp DI of some sort. If that's what you mean by high. I hear great things about the Aguilar tone hammer. Have never tried it though. I have used the sansamp VT bass and the bass driver DI. I own both. But, they color your tone quite a bit and with that particular head, but sure if you'd want to color that. I'm sure many others have many different options for you. Hopefully you'll get some of those soon.

4. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Not sure I mean, not but. Sorry.

5. calebLAHC

calebLAHC

Mar 23, 2013
    Yeah the head has very little treble. I have it turned.all the way up and the.lows at either a 1 or a 2 and it just over powers the treble. It might also be my bass. But I've been in the market for a preamp. I've had my eye on a few ampeg preamp and the fender tbp-1 preamp but I can't find them anywhere to try with my setup.

6. calebLAHC

calebLAHC

Mar 23, 2013
    I also have a rack setup with a tuner and power conditioner with an extra space to put something in it.

7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    What kind of bass?

8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    If it's something you need all the time, get a different amp. I flipped my TH500 for much the same reason. I've played through both, and they're just not made for that kind of thing; they are meaty and chewy by design. If you stick with the amp, you can try an inexpensive EQ pedal (Boss GEB-7, MXR 6-band) to boost the highs of your bass signal before it hits the amp. I do this to help a P bass cut better on certain funk tunes, as my amp is usually EQ'd for a bottom-heavy, warm rock set. If that works for you, then maybe get a rack-mounted graphic EQ.

9. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    --Even better, an Emperess para-eq

10. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    turn down the bass on the amp, get new strings. might put some zing in that baby.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    SansAmp RPM or RBI.

12. Are the pickups on the bass guitar O.K.? They may need adjusting - simple screwdriver job.
    That could save you time and money!!! Otherwise, you may need to find a useful gadget for the job. some kind of E.Q. foot pedal. If you need to trade the amp head in, get a decent model.

13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oranges bass terrors aren't "decent"??

14. calebLAHC

calebLAHC

Mar 23, 2013
    I've been thinking about going back to an ampeg. I had a USA made svt4 pro and I loved the tone of it. My current band plays in C so I really need something with high treble so I could cut through more. Any other decent heads that have high treble?

15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'd recommend GK RB line. Wonderfully powerful and punchy. I use one myself :)

16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Btw, I'm sure there's other brands out there are good for what you want, I'm just speaking from my experience.

17. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    You might wanna head over to the amp forum...

18. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    +1 indeed

19. That head and that cabinet should have no problem with treble. There's a horn in the cabinet, right? How is it set? Is it turned all the way up? is it working? Is the horn pointing at your ear? If you normally stand right in front of the cab, then your head is nowhere near the treble maker, and your body feels all the bass. Tilt the cabinet back or stand on the opposite side of the room.

Put Bass at 1, mid at 6, treble at 10, crank the gain and set volume to rehearsal levels. Turn up your bass's tone control. You should be hearing ALL treble at this point....and it probably won't sound good.

This will just show you that the amp and cab are (probably) more than capable of being trebly.