Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass rig nightmare!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guru0z, Apr 23, 2004.

1. guru0z

guru0z

Aug 17, 2003
    6 months ago I bought the bass rig of my dreams. I got an Epifani 410, Alembic F1X preamp, and a Crest Audio LT 2000 power amp. Due to my inexperience with building bass rigs I connected the power amp to the cabinet with a 1/4 inch in the amp and a speakon in the cabinet, in stereo mode. The power amp literally exploded and caught on fire. Through some connections I have I managed to get it fixed under warranty (thank God!). Since I got the bass rig up and working Ive blown two speakers. These are Epifani speakers so each speaker blown is basically a hundred bucks gone. The saddest thing is that I wasnt even playing loud. my cabinet should KICK ASS, but it sucks! its patheticly weak and people make fun of me for it. I bought a 2000 watt power amp because I thought that one day when get extra speakers I could use the power. Should I get a new power amp?

2. Im freaking out man

3. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    If that comforts you, I went through "blowing all stuff" nightmare by myself too. Poweramp is now repaired (cold soldering joint), and since then no problem with it. The most important is to see what happened, don't throw thinghs after first failure. Expect more in future. :D

4. How are you running that amp into your speaker, and is the Epifani the 4 or 8 ohm variety? If your Epifani is 4 ohms and you're running the Crest into it bridged-mono @ 4 ohms, that's 2400 watts of power into a 1000W RMS cabinet. At MOST you should be putting 2000 watts into it, and that's kinda pushing it; most people seem to recommend somewhere between regular and double RMS value to power any given speaker. Opinion varies, though.

I don't know your needs, venue sizes, etc., but if I were you I'd power the Epifani with just one channel from the Crest, if it's a 4 ohm cabinet. That way you're still getting 1000W, and you shouldn't have to worry at all about clipping, etc.

5. After looking on the Crest Audio website at your amplifier I see that it doesn't utilize the 1/4" connection in it's out-put section. You'll need to use Speakon or "bananna" cables to run your amplifier to your cabinet. In order to bridge your amp you need use a Speakon connecter that is properly wired for bridged use plugged into channel A with the "bridged-parallel-stereo" switch set on bridged. If you choose to run only one channel of the amp in stereo you will need to use input ch. A and out-put ch. A (with the switch set to stereo) and a normally wired Speakon connecter. If you're only running a single line into the amplifer (a mono signal into ch. A) and you plan on using more cabinets you'd want to use the amp in parallel or bridged mode (depending on impedence issues, power needed, etc...). You have some very nice equipment there and it should work wonderfully as long as you're willing to take the time to learn how to properly connect things. Live and learn, don't go spend more money.

6. :eek: I don't care how wrongly you've hooked things up, that should never have happened. My guess is that the amp is still out of wack. Take the whole thing to a tech you can trust and find out what the heck is going on. If you're blowing speakers at $100 a pop and still sounding bad, a tech can't be that expensive....jmho

7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I agree with josh, that rig should be very loud. I have an Epi 4x10 with a Stewart 2.1 and it kills!

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    :(