1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BASS RIG/SET UP HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by antoniusortega, Oct 18, 2006.

1. antoniusortega

antoniusortega

Oct 18, 2006
    Hello everyone,

I just got a MAG300 Ashdown head and a Ashdown Cabinet (4X10) and can't seem to get it to work. I'm no newbie to music but as far as Bass amps are concerned I guess I am. I plugged everything in right but still no sound. Lights are on, the monster seems powered up, but still nothing. Am I missing something? Please help guys and gals.

Antonius

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'll just ask...are you sure you have the head plugged into the speaker correctly? Are you sure you have your bass plugged in all the way on either the amp or on the bass end?

3. antoniusortega

antoniusortega

Oct 18, 2006
    Yeah everything is plugged in good and tight. The back of the cab has to inputs. It seems one for the normal cable and another that looks like a digital input of some kind. I'm using an instrument cable for the connection.

4. antoniusortega

antoniusortega

Oct 18, 2006
    How can I tell if its the HEAD or the CAB?

5. antoniusortega

antoniusortega

Oct 18, 2006
    Rather...how can I tell if the HEAD is the problem or the CAB is the problem. Is there a way to test out each individually?

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I just want to cover all the obvious situations here...Is there a mute button on the head turned on? Is both the volume and gain on the head turned up?

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Try the head in a cab you know works. If that doesn't work, the head is broken. If it does, try a different head with your new cab.

8. antoniusortega

antoniusortega

Oct 18, 2006
    Yeah everything is at max. The input has a a meter that seems to be active when I hit the strings but no sound. Everything is turned up. There is no mute button. :meh:

9. antoniusortega

antoniusortega

Oct 18, 2006
    I have a marshall guitar combo. Will I damage it if I try out the head on the cab?

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Use a speaker cable first of all, not an instrument cable.

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    No, just keep the volume low. You don't mean you are going to plug the bass head into the guitar head, do you? Just plug the bass head into the cab input and keep the volume down. If that works, and of course isn't the problem, try the marshall head with the bass cab.

12. antoniusortega

antoniusortega

Oct 18, 2006
    Check. But still not workin. Should I attach the head to the cab on the marshall?

13. antoniusortega

antoniusortega

Oct 18, 2006
    Oh ok cool. Let me try that. Thanks for helping out by the way. I appreciate it.

14. antoniusortega

antoniusortega

Oct 18, 2006
    Yeah dude, it's the f'n head. The cab works perfect under my marshall head. Too bad. Well they are sending out a new one so hopefully I won't have any more trouble. The output knob on the head was busted so maybe thats an indicator that it was already damaged. Thanks for your help buddy.

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Ok, sounds good. Good luck getting a new head.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Good old ashdown. I never had problems with mine but it seems many others do.

17. antoniusortega

antoniusortega

Oct 18, 2006
    Yeah the Cab sounds tight even through my 100 watt marshall head. I'm sure the new head will complete that awesome sound I've been hearing so much about :hyper:

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Was gonna say if you're using an active bass test the batteries, as once I got a new amp in, turned on, lights flashed, and no sound??

Plugged in an old passive Peavey instead of my Spector, and there comes the sound. :)

But looks like you got it taken care of anyhow!