1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass rig setup/advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by milleritaly, Oct 22, 2013.

1. milleritaly

milleritaly

Oct 22, 2013
    I am considering buying the following rack items for my bass rig set up.

Would this be a good rig worth investing in?

What would be the correct sequence of this rack before it hits my Ampeg SVT-810E cab?

1)Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head
    2)Peterson VS-R StroboRack Virtual Strobe tuner
    3)Furman M-8DX Power Conditioner with Lights and Meter
    4)BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
    5)Rocktron Blue Thunder Bass Preamp with Multi-Effects
    6)Rocktron Hush Pro Guitar Noise Reduction System Silver

Thank you

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  3. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
  4. I agree with most of it, although I don't agree at ALL about rack tuners. Cheap little tuners work great, but not nearly as well as real strobes. More importantly, I'm old, my eyes are old, and I want those big lights.

"Power conditioners" don't actually do much of that at all until you get into really REALLY big money. I still like a Furman for the light and the outlets. Having one cord for the rack just makes sense, and they aren't that expensive for just outlets and lights. If the meter gets you off, okay. Just don't spend an arm and a leg for it.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The point about big lights and poor vision is totally valid, of course.

You may not yet be aware that these days there are some pedal tuners with strobe function and/or accuracy equal to any rack strobe tuner. Also, most rack tuners are not strobe, and their accuracy is the same as "cheap pedals", as they use the same circuit, just in a bigger box with more lights.

6. marxbear

marxbear

Oct 13, 2008
    Sydney Australia
    I think that the Blue Thunder has the Hush function already in it.

I had a rack tuner and loved it, but got rid of it to reduce the size of the rack. I'm pretty sure Blue a Thunder has tuner function as well.

7. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Nope, no tuner in Blue Thunder. Yes for Hush.
    Bongo has great review, although a little harsh - compressor is quite limited but sounds OK at default setting, navigation is unusual, but takes short time to get used to.
    What made me sell my specimen, was awfull input signal range. Input gain does little - your guitar must have lots of output (I had to crank my Bartolini onboard preamp gain to max). Only than compressor and effects work as intended.

8. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    I love rack gear just as much as the next person.
    But lugging dead weight for some gear I rarely use is a hassle.
    I have a 8U rack case as well a 6U rack case. I am now debating on going smaller with a 4U rack case that will be my main rig.

The items you are inquiring are extremely heavy.
    Your Amp is 40lbs
    Your Tuner is 10lbs
    A rack just for these two can put you around 60lbs.
    You get the idea...

The first 3 items are a good start though.

Instead of the heavy Ampeg SVT Amp, you can probably go with Micro Class D amp, like a good brand name GK making some amps between 5-12lbs at 1U spacing. http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products/mb-heads/
    If you need Ampeg tone, go with there Preamp SVP PRO at 9lbs.

Instead of the strobe Tuner, look into Korg rack tuners. The new one they have is at 1lb. http://www.korg.com/PitchblackPro

Furman Power Conditioner was nice just for convenience, just plug in and flip the switch. I did away with it and bought a Monster Power Conditioner, but then soon later bought a nice Surge Protector.

BBE 482i was a nice unit but more than often, I usually had it off or bypassed. I sold this unit off.

My future set up would be in order:
    1U Shure Wireless
    1U Korg Tuner
    1U Preamp???
    1U GK Fusion 800 Amp

9. Step one, and done. The rest of that stuff is "nice to haves" at first glance, but they are useless weight imho.

10. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You have basically described my rig, except i have a VF1 and SE70 instead of the Rocktron stuff, and a SWR Interstellar OD as a pre.

Oh, and my tuner is a Korg.

Don't let these guys talk you out of it. I love my rig, and it has wheels...

11. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

If I was gigging an SVT-4, I'd want something that functioned as an always-on overdrive effect, as well.

12. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Personally I would get a tuner pedal. Nice to be able to mute by stepping on it. I wouldnt bother with the other rack gear. The Pro 4 will sound great on its own.

13. I would just turn the gain up...

14. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Every SVT-4 I've tried doesn't have enough gain just with the input. Still way too clean for me.

15. Yeah, unless you're 8ft tall you're going to have enough fun hoisting a 6u rack with just the svt in it. If you really must add the other stuff, add another rack case.

16. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    This is true, I have a 6U with 2 amps in it because I like to have a back up with me. Its heavy, especially putting it on top of an 810.

17. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
    Seems like you'd be running a pre amp into a pre amp? Why not skip the Ampeg and just get a power amp? Or you could skip the Blue thunder (with pre amp) and get a dedicated effects processor. If it's a drive thing, there are other ways to skin that cat.

Aside from that, I'm going to echo everyone else.

I'm wondering why you want a BBE? I've used one many years ago but... I'm much better now lol. (no offense intended) Do you currently use one?

I don't really like noise gates either... well, aside from for drums and stuff. I'd suggest getting the noise out of your rig.

You've also not mentioned what kind of sound you are going for, what bass you play or much of anything that could guide us. We're all kinda guessing here.

If your rig is gonna be anything like this, I'd suggest getting a very nice roll around rack and be sure to have some friends to help you load it into your car. It's gonna be heavy.

Be good,
    Dan

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    4 Pro, tuner, distortion pedal, and done. If you want a power conditioner, just get the $50 one. The $200 ones are no better, and the only thing they bring to the table are lights.

19. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The Peterson is an outstanding tuner.