Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Rig Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paingod1, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Paingod1

Paingod1

Dec 5, 2003
    Help :help:

I am forced to compete against 2 full guitar stacks.
    I went to my Local GC and demoed all the Ampegs, swr, and a few Misc. amps in the store.

NONE were loud enough, No matter what cab combo's I used!

The weight or the $$$$ arent much of an issue (I have a real job) I need to move some serious air, and I dont know where else to look? A friend suggested a Mesa 400plus, will this produce the "wall of sound" I am looking for :confused:

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    If size and money aren't an issue get two cabs. Something alongs the lines of 410 and 115. That will add some volume. As for amps, I haven't used a 400+ for more than 10 minutes so I don't know how loud it can get but I can imagine loud. Or you could get something ridiculous like a Preamp with a QSC PLX3402 then you have some crazy amounts of power to play with.

3. BassmanRon

BassmanRon

Dec 31, 2004
    Are you not playing through a P.A.? If so, why does the stage volume need to be so high? How far away is the audience? Do you value your hearing, and understand that hearing loss is irreversible?

I like loud music as much as the next guy, but it seems like your bandmates are getting too carried away if you can't be heard with the amps you mentioned. An alternative to escalating the amp wars would be limiting volumes to "darn loud" instead of competing at the "deafening" level.

4. Paingod1

Paingod1

Dec 5, 2003
    No P.A. :meh: we play outdoors in the summer months too (this doesnt help) I do NOT stand directly in front of any speaker! but trying to get 2 anal guitarists to turn the volume down and sacrifice their "Tone" i snearly impossible.

I have 2 Mesa powerhouse 1000 cabs. while I really like these cabs (4x10 & 1x15 each) the Old SVT is NOT loud enough. Although I like the sound out of it! I am pretty sure my cabs can handle more but this wattage issue has me confused. I played an Eden 600 watt head and noticed very little to NO increase over the SVT?

QSC PLX3402 ????????

5. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    No, a 600W amp wil get you (in theory) 3dB over and above what that SVT is pushing.

What's the efficiency of your cabs? I'm guessing they're not so efficient that you couldn't gain 10dB by going to more efficient cabs, and keeping the SVT.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If an SVT-CL and an 8x10 or two aren't loud enough....

In reality, don't try to win that battle...it's a foolish waste of money and seriously threatens your hearing (even with ear plugs in, which I hope you're wearing).

If you're not, try them...you really must to protect your hearing, but they'll filter out a lot of thunder and allow you to hear yourself better.

Depending on the type of sound that you want, a 4x10 and a 1x15 or a pair of 4x10s or an 8x10 are really as much (or more) than you should ever need.

Maybe a pair of Schroeder 410s or the new 3101212 (3x10 plus 2x12s in one box) would do it with an amp that can put out 500 to 1000 watts.

I went through a similar thing and ended up turning down a bit to save my gear, using ear plugs and figuring if all the audience can hear is guitar and not me, too friggin' bad...it isn't worth the battle...

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    From his previous posts. It looks like he's set on cabs. 2 Powerhouses 1000's (410+115 in one cab). The QSC is a pro audio poweramp that can deliver up to 3400w @ 4ohms (briged) or you'll want to set it up parallel and each cab sees 700w @ 8ohms. If you use it you'll need a preamp as well.

8. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Bring a PA then. Sounds like a pretty stupid situation. How does anyone out front hear anything except 2 a-hole guitarists? And more importantly, how do you actually play music!!

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's insane
    full stacks are meant for stadium gigs
    no one but them gives a rat's ass about their "sound" but them. the audience isn't marvelling at their tone, they're looking for the exits.
    if it was me, it would be simple. either they turn way down and use half stacks or less or i walk.

BTW, I play with a loud guitarist. He plays thru a hundred watt bogner head into ONE 4x12 cab. I can't imagine not being able to keep up with ONE powerhouse and an SVT.

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I feel ya man. Guitarists think that, you're exactly right, everyone is just there to look at them and wonder how they can sound "that good". Stick with the Powerhouse cabinets, and just get a huge power/pre amp setup. Get yourself a SansAmp RBI, and a QSC PLX 3402 and you should demolish all. I had a Mesa Diesel 6x10 with a SansAmp RBI and PLX 1602, bridged at 4 ohms with 1600 watts, and I could put down my guitarist's Single Rec and 4x12 combo.

I'd also tell your guitarists to use just one cab. I mean, if you're really that insecure about yourself, you can HAVE both cabs onstage, just only plug in one. You don't need two. But I understand, having done so, playing with limited PA and it really does suck. Especially with guitarists that are such assholes and want to play so loud. That's a lose-lose situation, for your gear, your audience and your ears. Someone needs to break this to your duo, and y'all all need to get rid of one cab, and invest in at least some sort of FOH equipment. You'll never get by otherwise.

11. Keomo

Keomo

Jan 6, 2004
    -Power regulator
    -Korg tuner
    -Mesa/Boogie M-Pulse 600
    -Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 4x10 cab
    -Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 1x15 cab

You won't regret it! ( this is my rig, you have all the headroom you'd want... I never had to push it more than 11:00 on the volume and it makes my house shake )

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

This would be something else I would recommend! Or try the Big Block 750 into those cabs (as long as they're both 4 ohm!)

13. Keomo

Keomo

Jan 6, 2004
    The power rating on the BigBlock is a bit tricked... it's rated at 750 watts rms at 2 Ohms. The M-Pulse is rated 625 watts rms at 4 Ohms. At 2 Ohms they're probably even. Why I chose the m-pulse over the bigblock is because of the parametric eq and the extras.

Oh and the powerhouse cabs are configured for 8 Ohms, so it brings the wattage to about 300 rms.... but believe me... it's freaking amazing.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you insist on getting insanely loud:
    Preamp of your choice (Read Purity or Demeter VTBP-201S w/good tubes recommended) +
    Crest Pro 8200 or 9200 (or Lab.gruppen fP6400) power amp +
    some combination of Schroeder cabinets ~~ i.e.
    two 410 or
    two 21012 or
    one 410 + one 21012 or
    four 1210 or
    two 1212 + two 1210 or
    four 1212
    [one of the new 3101212 would probably work, two would be lethally loud]

15. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    If it were me?

* M-Pulse 600 x 2
    * 8x10 Powerhouse x 2

....and just wait for the sex to happen

16. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    it sounds like u should quit ur band

i cant put up with loud guitar players :bag:

17. Jim York

Jim York

Oct 27, 2004
    See the post on the Tuba 36. Build or have built for you some Bill Fitzmaurice cabs and your guitarists will summarily be begging you to turn your axe down whilst crying for their mommies.

18. Agreed haha, and if they are that loud that you can't keep up with what you said you play with. They wont even be able to find another bassist most likely and then they will realize and turn down :smug:

19. Paingod1

Paingod1

Dec 5, 2003
    when you get 5 people togeather with good day jobs!

The rigs and equipment get extremely expensive

20. If you can, multiple 8x10's will kill.

But if not, a PLX power amp and Sansamp or Ampeg pre through an 8x10 will be all you could ever need.

I have 2400 watts at my disposal, and if I had another 4x10 I would be all set for ever.