1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass ringing sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ozrider, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Hi to all, been enjoying reading the posts on this forum and decided to join.

I am fairly new to the bass - about 3 yrs. I am on my 4th bass now and have noticed a ringing sound like a upper mid harmonic that accompanies the main tone of my bass. I have noticed this especially on my prestige bass Ibanez sr1005efm and also sr 480. Is this because of the elixir strings? or the pickups? or is it a function of the active preamp? How do I get rid of it anyway?

Thanks in advance...

2. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    In my experience, that ringing sound is due to strings. Having used Elixir strings on my Taylor for a number of years, I can say that I'm not a fan of them. I know that sounds like a contradiction, but I recently changed away from them.

3. Thanks Scott,

I figured that may be it... I have used elixers exclusively cos they are so playable, but I am thinking of switching to flat wounds

4. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    If it's not too bad it can go away once the strings completely stretch out. I've had some bass strings that do it so badly that I literally can't intonate it because it confuses the tuner.

5. lovemybasses

lovemybasses

Mar 4, 2007
    new strings "rings" but it could be also your frets, your "too low" action, your eq... tell us more about that.

6. Perhaps it's your ears?

:ninja:

7. bickele

bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Hard to say what kind of ringing you're experiencing.

Do all of the strings in the set display the issue?
    It could be a torsion problem. With this I mean that the string at the bridge is turned on its axis compared to the nut. This can produce unwanted overtones because the string doesn't vibrate the way it should due to the additional forces involved.

I'd advise you to loosen the strings completely then tune up again making sure you allow the ball end to spin freely at the bridge until the very last moment. Actually, you should help it turn, making sure the string feels "relaxed" and the only force applied is lengthwise, by the tuning peg.

b.