1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Road Trip!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Joe Ergle, Sep 5, 2008.

1. My instructor and I are planning a road trip in November in order for me to shop for a new bass. We're starting from central Florida and working our way up to our final destination, Kolstein's in NY. Can anyone recommend any shops that would be approximately along our route?

Also, just to get an opinion on this, my instructor recently put together a German school bass. He said it's probably from the 1960's, and he would be willing to sell it to me for a pretty low cost (around $4k with a Seifert bow). It sounds awesome, especially in the low end. It's extremely dark and growly. However, it wouldn't really be a good investment because it's not worth a lot. There's a crack that runs right over the sound post; it has a patch inside of it and doesn't really affect the sound, but it still defaces the value. There's also a crack that runs very close to the bass bar. Given my low price range, sound is pretty much everything, but at the same time I would like to make a good investment so that when I want a better bass later on, I can sell my current one for a pretty penny. What do you guys think? Lots of bang (sound) for the buck, or a wise investment for the future? I'm taking the trip to NY either way just to make sure I don't miss out on anything, but I'd just like to hear some thoughts on it before I go.

P.S. My price range is between $3k and $6k. I could really use something in the $10k+ range since I'm currently playing in some pretty important positions, but unfortunately I'm a broke bloke.

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Try to make it up to Brewster to visit Arnold Schnitzer at AES. It's about an hour north of the city and well worth the time.

3. Bass Specialties in Bensalem, PA (outside Philly). Check to see if they have any guest speakers or bass clinics, they often do.

4. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Shank Strings and Ken Smith's place are worth visiting. They are both in eastern PA but not too far out of the way given the distance you are going.

I'll be out on Long Island in mid-October. I don't have that much time but do plan a visit to Kolstein and a trip to meet Arnold.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Why don't you take this bass with you so you can do direct comparisons? You can also have it checked out by luthiers on the way. You need something now that will suit you, so if your instructor's bass has solid repairs and sounds and plays better than others in your price range, it might the way to go. However there are new and used Shens, Wan Bernadel, etc. fully carved basses, available without cracks. If you like their sound and feel, that might make more sense long run. Of course they can crack, too!

Which ever way you go, you probably won't make a killing on resale unless you really get lucky on the purchase price, which you won't at a bass shop. Good luck.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There are a bunch of basses at Gage's, check in with Bill Merchant and Paul Biase, if you're going to Kolstein's you definitely gotta stop by Jeff Bollbach's to say Hi. Give him a head's up, he may even have some basses to check out. On the way to Arnold, check out Geoff Morrow's Bass Garden.

But coming up the coast, isn't Bob's House of Basses around Baltimore or DC or somewhere in that general vicinity? When in danger or n doubt, check (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's luthier/shop listing..

7. Good thinking! My instructor actually suggested this yesterday evening when we were discussing it.

Thanks for the replies! All of you are helpful.

8. Just to conclude this thread, I'm not going on this bass adventure anymore. I found a 5 string Juzek near where I live instead. attachment.
    :D

9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Congrats! Looks really sweet! Sometimes gems can be found right in your own backyard.