Bass Robotalk

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Creep, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    Well, I just got this pedal about 2 weeks ago and I still am having a hard time trying to learn how to drive this stinkin' thing. The random arpeggiator is just freakin random. I never really know what I'm gonna get with this thing. This pedal also seems to be abit of a tone sucker. I don't know, maybe I just need to spend some more time with this thing...or maybe put it in the sell/trade forum. has anyone here had any success/experience with this pedal?
  2. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    sounds cool. got any samples to post?
  3. benevan

May 2, 2002
    I had the original Robotalk for about a week before I returned it. I experienced the same problems as you. It thinned out my tone significantly and the arpegiator (the main reason I got the thing) was pretty much unusable. I was wondering if the new bass version would solve the tone problem but evidently not.
  4. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    aw I would love an mp3 or wav of the bass robotalk! cool
  5. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    There's one at the website, isn't there?
  6. Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    yea, there is at least one (Bass) Video Clip on there site that I saw. They have alot of clips of the robotalk for guitar.
  7. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    I hope there is some bass robotalk samples in the "interview" section.
  8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have a original robotalk, and I love it... Mind you - it is a "vintage style" wah/lowpass circuit so it is quite nasely... I had to tweek my trimpots before I got a real good sound though, I still fiddle with them now and again. I think it likes active bass signals more, because it LOVES fuzz...

Well if I feel up to it I will record some clips...

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Anybody care to post a link?
  10. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    I would love someone posting an mp3 of the bass robotalk, to hear the range exactly. On the robotalk website, in the interview section, the next-to-last guy has a bass guitar thru a robotalk, but that quicktime video and only that one makes my computer crash.
  11. irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    has too much gas
    wohoo zombie thread! so ive got an original silver robotalk on the way to me. should have it tomorrow.
    anyone knows the difference between the robotalk and the bass robotalk? circuitry wise?
  12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Probably a cap switch. The Bass Robotalk definitely triggers better with a bass than a guitar (my guitar player could hardly get the filter to open with his Les Paul regardless of how the sensitivity was set) but it doesn't retain lows well enough.

The Robotalk 2 has a blend knob which I think is a brilliant addition to the pedal since I had to run my original Robotalk in the loop of a blender (VFB-2, Xblender and then VB-jr) to get the most out of it. Not only is the filter too thin but the "random arpeggiator"/sample & hold filter really benefits from having some clean running underneath it.

But in a blend loop, it is still one of my favorite pedals.
  13. Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I love my Robotalk2. The master clean blend is a stroke of genius, as is the individual volume controls for each channel. Each channel has its own character and they blend well together. Although there is no random arpeggiator, which a lot of people seem to be bummed about, I think Xotic hit a solid home run with this pedal.
  14. Cory

May 16, 2004
    I used to have one of the original ones and had to run it with an X-Blender to get it to sound like I wanted it to. By itself, it wasn't that great of a pedal for my rig.