Bass Rolloff Tone Knob In A Pedal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheSeagoats, Jul 7, 2019.

1. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    I figured since the tone knob on a bass rolls off the treble from the signal that there is a way to wire one so that it rolls off bass instead. I did some poking around online and found a Premier Guitar article that mentions it so I thought I was golden. I attempted it in a passive pedal setup since I figured it would be the exact same as a knob built into a bass but it doesn't seem to work and I'm not sure what I've done wrong. If anyone can help point me in the right direction that would be great. I'll link the article below, I used a .0015uf capacitor I got from a friends dad, I honestly can't remember what kind of pot it is and I'm not great at soldering and there's solder covering all the important information on the back of the pot. It doesn't have an on off switch or anything, just jack to jack with the pot between them. Sound does go through but the knob doesn't affect anything. Any ideas?

Three Must-Try Guitar Wiring Mods | Premier Guitar

2. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    This same thing has actually been on my “when I have spare time” list for about 6 months. One of these days...

Could you post a picture? It’s probably something simple, but it will be easier to troubleshoot if we can see it.

3. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    The standard tone control is wired directly off the pickup. Best case scenario, you've added a passive filter downstream of the output of the volume control. Loading will probably be a significant issue.

You want to either do it in place of or in parallel with the standard tone (a concentric pot would make the latter option easy) or use a buffered active device if you want it downstream. I'm thinking a 3 H inductor would be a reasonable value to try but I'm open to other suggestions. If you are using a cap, you are putting it in the audio path, which I would not choose to do.

Otto

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021