Bass runs

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Gin Queen, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Hi I've just joined this forum and was wondering if anyone out there had any bass runs to some Gypsy Jazz standard tunes.

I've haven't been playing bass long - initially bluegrass (1 & 5 with SOME runs) but now am getting into GJ.

I live in South Wales U.K. in the back of beyond where hardly any musicians play bass, I've never had a lesson because of this. I've tried to learn through bass videos (Mark Shatz) but any help now would be appreciated. I always practice with my faithfull metronome and thoroughly enjoy playing - which I think is half the battle. I do manage to play in a few bluegrass jams but now feel that I need to be a bit busier on the bass.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,
  2. You may want to give Lionel Davis a call. He lives in Cardiff. He is a good jazz bassist and plays in local bands. His home phone # is 29 20 45 2388.

3. Check out the Robin Nolan Trio -- great guys, based in Amsterdam, I believe (though they're all Brits).

I've got two of their books/CDs, and they've helped me a lot.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well a couple of weeks ago there were loads of great Jazz bassists in South Wales - for the University of Glamorgan Jazz SummerSchool - I was there as well! ;)

One of the best Double Bassists who attends these events is also based in Cardiff and she is a very good teacher - I have been along to her classes. I've also bought her CDs!

Paula Gardiner has her own website which should give contact details :

There is a Jazz "scene" in Cardiff as well, but Paula is great as a teacher and very helpful to people at any level - she is very good with beginners and very easy to talk to.

If you could get a lesson with her I think you would definitely benefit. She's into all sort of music - not just Jazz as well - her own CDs have original compositions based on her love of the Welsh countryside and have definite Welsh "folk" influences and she told me that she started off being into punk bands like the Stranglers! :eek: