Bass scale, and bridge position help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SilentWars, May 16, 2005.

1. SilentWars

May 16, 2005
    Im biulding a bass and I was wondering, does the position of the bridge matter if it is 1 or 2 inches forward.

Its an explorer style body and i've seen bases withn one PU like the one im biulding with small bodies and smaller spacing between the neck base and the bridge than most basses

Does it make any negtive influence difference.
  2. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Your bridge position will obviously effect the speaking length of the strings, so different notes will appear at different spots on the string than they would on, say, a 34" scale. If it is to be fretted, this will affect the positions of where the frets will be layed.
  3. It doesn't matter as long as your nut is still the right distance away (34" or whatever scale you're using) and allows for intonation adjustment. If you already have a finished neck and neck pocket routed then the position for your bridge is already fixed.
  4. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    my understanding is that the bridge should be the same distance from the 12th fret that the nut is, positioned to allow for saddle adjustments. I'm just a regular guy so corrections are welcome!
  5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    In my current-project (first, ongoing...ugh!) measurements, I've been relying on the 34 inch measurement from the center saddle (5-string bass) to where the string will break on the nut. The center saddle is adjusted so that it is in the middle stage of adjustment, which will allow for maximum intonation adjustment.

If your bridge is moved foward and you want to keep your scale (32", 34", 35" etc.?) you'd need to make modifications in your design to account for that.

Keep in mind, I'm an absolute rank amateur, and that this is based purely on the design theory I've read about so far.
  6. That's correct regular guy! It is more accurate to use the word saddle in place of bridge, however, as the edge of a bridge can often be quite far from the saddle, where each string terminates. The exact middle of the string is where it is sonically the most pure, ie: its resonations are at their greatest, giving the truest representation of its sonic characteristics. This "sweetspot" should find itself over the twelfth fret's domain. The science is much more complex than this and varies with the guage of string and its length (affecting sharps and flats), but it is an essential guideline. Please, no angry responses as a result of my over simplification!