Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slothman, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Slothman

Slothman

Jan 23, 2006
    Tucson arizona
    Hey all, i looked for this question in the forums and couldnt find it so...

Im going to buy a new bass soon, and i already have my heart set on a particular bass, but i just wanted to ask one thing on the bass. It says that it has a 35" scale, and im trying to compare it to my current bass, but i cant find the information on it and was wondering where to measure on the bass to find out the bass scale.

Thanks a bunch

PS: Is this in the right topic?

2. DasClyde

DasClyde Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    I would say from one end of the fingerboard to the next but I could be wrong.

3. Length of the strings (vibrating part - nut to bridge).

4. Slothman

Slothman

Jan 23, 2006
    Tucson arizona
    alright, thanks that exactly what i needed.

one inch in sclae length shouldnt be hard at all should it? I think i would actually like it

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

It all depends...the extra inch changes both your reach and the feel of the strings. I personally like a bit of extra tension, especially on the E and B strings, but some people love the feel of a 'traditional' 34, and have a hard time getting used to the 35 tension, especially on the G string.

My suggestion is that you should try before you buy. There are some 34 inch 5's out there with good B strings too.

6. Slothman

Slothman

Jan 23, 2006
    Tucson arizona
    i actually have tried it the other day, i thought it was nice. Sorry for the confusion, im still learning english, i can speak it better than i can type it.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    No stress, Slothman, you're doing fine.

Much better than I'd do in your native words. Where are you from?

BTW, the best way to check your scale length is to measure from the nut to the 12th fret, then double that measurement.

8. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Adapting to a 35" scale form 34" should be not real big deal.

I actually played a 39" scale bass last week at NAMM and while it's a reach, I was suprised that I could still play it without a lot of effort.

9. Slothman

Slothman

Jan 23, 2006
    Tucson arizona
    thanks, my family moved to america recently from lithuania, and were gonna move here for a while.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the USA, and Welcome to Talkbass.:cool:[​IMG]

I don't have a problem switching between a 34" and 35" scale, but some people can't adapt to the longer scale.

11. I've had 34s and 35s in 4, 5 and 6 arrangements. If you're using a 4, then the difference is just an adjustment. If you've been playing a 35 and go to a 34, you'll find it's a little easier on the finger stretch.

However if you're going for a 6er, the jump from 34 to 35 for me makes my hand ache (old age too, I guess).

To measure the scale, measure from the bottom of the nut to the 12th fret, then double it. To measure total string length will provide questionability since the bridge needs to adjust for proper intonation. This is important since there are also 34 1/2" scale basses out there.

12. +1 Welcome!

Most player's don't have much trouble going from 34" to 35" scale. I hardly notice (I have 34" and 35" scale basses). However, some players really like 34" a lot better. My guess is, you won't have any problems. There are a few brands of strings that don't work on longer scale instruments, but most do, and most brands have a 'long scale version' if there's a problem.

13. Slothman

Slothman

Jan 23, 2006
    Tucson arizona
    thanks for all the help (and welcomes) i played the bass i wanted a music store and fell in love with it, but i ordered off ebay since its the exact same thing and still new, for a couple hundred dollars cheaper!

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ok...we're dying to know what kind of new bass you're getting!!!

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm one of the people that just can't put up with longscale stuff...I can play them fine, indeed, I basically learned to play on a 35" scale Ibanez BTB, but I much prefer to play on 34" or less basses (32" scale is my favourite for 4 strings). I'm pretty much a 4 stringer through and through, but when I'm occasionally in the mood for a 6 string (I'm not a 5 string player per se) it must be a 34" scale. It's just much easier to play, you wouldn't think it but that inch feels so odd, which throws my slapping and tapping in particular...

16. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    Just remember that your bass in an extension of your penis. Bigger is alway better.

Sorry stupid joke.

I just recently got a 34 5string and dig it. I got used to a real small bass maybe 30 or 32 or something like that. What a difference but certainly more enjoyable to play. I am still kind of new so not really the right one to be giving advice but just play it a lot and eventually you will get used to it.

Oh and by the way Lithuania has the greatest basketball shirts ever!

17. I dislike the 35 inch scale, generally speaking, and it's not the comfortability of playing the extra inch bothers me (I have big hands), it's the increased string tension and it's effect on the tone. I find the extra tension makes the strings feel too tight for my taste and it can choke out some the low end on some basses, making the D and G string especially feel and sound a bit odd. But its all personal preference, so try out a 34 and a 35 out at a local shop and see what you think!

Good Luck!

18. Slothman

Slothman

Jan 23, 2006
    Tucson arizona
    im getting a traben phoenix 4, i played it at a store and loved the sound and the looks, its one of the most beuitiful basses ive ever seen.

"Oh and by the way Lithuania has the greatest basketball shirts ever!"

ha, yeah, im glad america is into basketball too, i dont really like the whole gangster thing associated with it here though. Basketball is huge in lithuania

<EDIT>one other question though, i went in the store to ask about a traben bass and i remembered i dont even know how to pronounce it right, i said it like tray-ben, and the guy looked at me like i was a dufus. I jsut thickened up my accent a bit so i didnt look as bad haha, but what is the proper way to say it?

19. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    I was actually making a grateful dead reference from way back. I hate basketball!