Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass scales

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by B0tt0m Feeder, Aug 4, 2003.

1. B0tt0m Feeder

B0tt0m Feeder

Aug 2, 2003
    What are they exactly and where can I find some tabs for them? :)

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Also Search Talkbass because this has been discussed many times before, and there is a lot of great info in here.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've been playing for 2 years, and have been avoiding scales and theory like the plague. But finally I woke up and found this link: http://www.bass-guitar-review.com/bass-lessons.php3 It doesn't have EVERY scale, but it has the basic 5. Also try www.activebass.com and click on BASICS I think it is..they have a "scale finder" where you can search for any scale in any key, in any degree

4. What are "bass scales"? Are they different from "musical scales"?:)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

These are the things which cover the body of the fish - like its skin - you can make them out as the shiny things on the Bass in the following picture :

[​IMG]

6. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    As far as I know, scales are scales. No matter what instrument you play them on.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Not to a fish they're not!! ;)

8. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    :D

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well the question was asked by a "bottom feeder" - which I imagine is some kind of fish!! ;)

10. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Do we need to move this to Off Topic?

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Tarpon have shinier, more metalic-looking scales.:D

12. efcleff

efcleff

Jan 20, 2003
    ohio
    There's just something fishy about all these replies !!!!
    Just to add to what DaVEPe wrote, you can also play major scales on one string or two strings-just follow the major scale pattern W-W-H-W-W-W-H.
    For example: C major- Start on C (A string-3d fret) take a whole step to D,take another whole step to E,take a half step to F,take a whole step to G,another whole step to A,another whole step to B,and finally a half step to C- Do this all on the A string.Say the notes out loud to help you learn the fingerboard.Do this for each major scale.Learn the Key Signatures for each major scale.Finally, stay away from tabs for learning scales-you need to know the notes of the scale and where to find them,not just patterns on the neck.Rock-on.
    efcleff