1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Schools

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by punkmetal, Apr 15, 2006.

1. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    is the a program of study on Bass guitar in any college???

2. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I would say most that have full music programs have a double bass program. Then get into the schools with Jazz programs and they probaby expand into bass guitar, but they will still have you play double bass.

If you say what your looking for or what type of program you want I'm sure more people can reply and tell you about specific schools.

3. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    yea thats the bummer that i am facing at the moment
    i want to get a music degree of some kind but all the "bass" programs are for double bass and not bass guitar. I would definatly lean more towards the jazz area, and i am not against learning double bass. my band director at my skool is a D-bag and won't allow me to switch out of band and into orcestra because he doesn't want to loose another brass player. that kinda leaves me screwed for learning the double bass...

i am mostly wondering is collages will let in a bass player that has only played on a bass guitar, that can read music, and is willing to take on the double bass

thanx

4. steveb98

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Well the non-traditional schools like MI or Berklee would let you start on bass guitar and learn double bass later. For more degree oriented schools then the schools with Jazz programs are your best bet for what you want. The only ones I know off the top of my head are North Texas State and U of Miami, but there are more. I would start calling some those schools music department and talking to them. I would also talk to someone like Steve Bailey who plays both double bass and bass guitar, plays all styles, and I believe did what you are talking about school wise.

5. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    how would i talk to him?

6. steveb98

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Like most big name players he has a website with email contact info. I have contacted a number of players this way and you'd be surprised how many get back to you and are very helpful.

Google is your friend... :ninja:

http://www.stevebaileybass.com/

7. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    i did that a few days ago ... no reply... but not that worried, if he doesn't i won't be dissapointed, but if he does i am sure he will have some great advice

any one on here have any tho???