bass selection advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Nanny, Jul 5, 2005.

1. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hi g/f just bought me an acoustic bass as a present (wow), and I am now thinking of selling my 2 electric basses and purchasing a new electric bass. I need some advice on what to start looking for.

I've been playing for about 15 years, but I haven't owned a wide variety of basses. I know, the selection is very individual, but I'm just looking for a general compass direction.

Here are some details about my situation and what I'm looking for:

- I need a 5-string
    - Bass sound I'd most love to have: Duff's from GNR/Velvet
    - price range is around $1000 USD (but I'm buying in Canada)...used or new is fine
    - I'm playing alot of 80s pop and hard rock, with some metal, gigging weekly
    - basses I know I don't like: Yamaha, Ibanez, any fretless
    - amp: Harke3500

OK folks...let's hear your suggestions! thanks very much!
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Considering Duff used a P-Bass Special through a GK rig, the closest thing you would probably get tonally is a five string P, which won't sound exactly the same. Though the American Deluxe may be a bit out of your price range, search them used.
  3. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    OK, I may have found one in my price range, but need advice...

LAKLAND Skyline 55-01 5-String Bass DELUXE (2004), mint condition, gig bag. $850 CDN (about $680 USD)

Is this a good deal?

thanks tpylons for the bass info...that is a sweet instrument, but out of my price range :(
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That's a decent deal, and the 55-01 is definately one of the better 5's in that price range. It will give you a moderately aggressive tone that will probably suit you pretty well, though it won't be quite like the P-bass. Just be sure you're comfortable with the 35" scale and fairly wide spacing. Have you had a chance to play this bass?

5. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No, I haven't had a chance to play it yet...I'll try it out first. My sense is that the price is good, but no incredible steal. I'm looking for wider spacing...I'll see how the long scale feels.