1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass set-up for a "PA" at a nightclub....

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by thedonald, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Okay, I have a sorta simple set of questions....

If I was in a band and the band had a gig at a club that used their own PA system.....

Would I need only my bass, my pedal-board of effects....and a DI box?

Could the DI box be a Pre-Amp/DI combo box?

Would the Eden World Tour DI be a good box to use at a gig where the house PA system would be used?

So, to sum up my questions....Do you need to have your own amp (a rig) to perform at a club that is using their own PA system?

I appreciate your replys....Have a great day!

2. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    It would depend on whether the PA was any good or not.

3. With that stated....the PA being good or not....

IF it was a good PA....can the questions be answered...appreciate your help.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    when in doubt, bring your amp.

if it was a really good system, with powerful monitors and separate mixes for each person, or IEMs (also with separate mixes for everybody), you could rely on the monitor to hear your bass.

your bass sound would go into the PA either way for the crowd to hear; the question is whether you need the amp for you and your bandmates to hear.

5. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Yeah I would think it would work. I never have used the Eden DI but have used their amps. They use to be really good until the company went down the drain IMO.

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Would I need only my bass, my pedal-board of effects....and a DI box? Do you need to have your own amp (a rig) to perform at a club that is using their own PA system?

You should bring your rig, effects, and your own DI box to the venue. Especially when you do not know the details. Always bring your big rig to a venue the first time you go there or visit the venue before your gig. The real question is: do they have monitors on stage GOOD ENOUGH for bass signals? 99% of the gigs I play are not set up like that. You should have a rig on you no matter what. If the effects are part of your stage tone, BRING THEM.

Would the Eden World Tour DI be a good box to use at a gig where the house PA system would be used? Could the DI box be a Pre-Amp/DI combo box?[/B]

Eden WT-DI is a good choice. Read the manual - my Radial JDI box allows me to plug into the box and take another plug out of the same box and go straight into my bass rig.

Figure out what signals you are giving to the sound guy at the show - will they contain effects? If you are using effects live, you need to make sure each effect is the close to the same volume level. Switching effect patches (one loud, then one really quiet) will make a sound man's job a total nightmare. If you want to send effect signals to the PA - you must plug your bass into the unit, THEN to the DI box.

If you simply plug you bass into the DI box then to the amp, you are only sending the signal of your bass to sound man.

Hope that helps.

7. THANKS ALL....many thanks....

8. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Always bring your rig. It's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

9. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    +1

PA or not, I always bring my combo, PLUS a backup head, plus a DI. So much better to bring too much than to bring too little!