1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass set up for lower tunings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mr_flood, Oct 13, 2013.

1. mr_flood

mr_flood

Mar 18, 2013
    I have La Bella DT54's on the way, they're made for drop tunings. I was planning on taking them in to get put on by a pro and have him set up the guitar. My question is this, since 3/4 of our songs are in CGCG or drop D should I have him set up the guitar with the strings tuned down or set up with standard tuning?

2. unclebass

unclebass

Dec 17, 2012
    I would think it would be better to set it up for the tuning that matches the majority of your songs. Personally, I would prefer to have a second bass with standard tuning to keep from having to adjust tuning during a gig.

3. +1

To avoid buzz and get the best out of your bass, set it up for majority tuning.

4. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I own 2 basses and have one tuned standared (GDAE) and another tuned (ADEA). I set-up my own basses and the set-up for both is VERY DIFFERENT!

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    These are meant for dropped standard intervals and NOT drop tuning.

A set that you can go from drop C to drop D with would be something like .124 .082 .061 .045 (or gauges reasonably close) and you should set your bass up tuned to drop C#

6. mr_flood

mr_flood

Mar 18, 2013
    Just wanted to report back now that I have the strings on.

First off, they are working great. I did not have the bass re-setup and going from EADG to CGCG there is much less slop than before, the strings are certainly tighter, exactly what I was looking for.

They are steel but they are less bright than my previous Slinky's, which I'm glad for.

Overall I would highly recommend LaBella DT54's for anyone drop tuning their bass throughout a gig.