Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass setup books: any good ones out there?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by slick519, Sep 8, 2002.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hello, i really need a bass setup book, and since my birthday is right around teh corner, i gonna try and get one. With that said, what are some exellent choices for me to look at?

thanks,
    slicks

2. To be honest, I don't think there is enough to doing a setup to fill a book. Most everything you need to know can be gleaned from pages on the web especially the manufacturer sites. Remember, these instruments are pretty simple. Sure they involve electronics and physics, but they do it in an elegant and simple way. What you need to know for a good setup can usually be explained in a page or two.

Building an instrument so that it CAN be setup correctly is another thing. There's lots to this because we get into structure and assembly. If it's not right from the get-go, it won't be right when it's time to do the setup. For that you can look at the books like "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock or "Make Your Own Electric Guitar and Bass" by Dennis Waring and David Raymond. These will explain the whole process in-depth.