Bass setup.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Marty Forrer, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Does anyone know what the "rake" of a neck should be? Is there a formula for finding the correct angle? Years ago, I had a mishap and popped the neck off my bass. Being ignorant in the ways of DB back then, I just glued my neck back on. Now that I'm older and slightly wiser, I realise that I've probably got the wrong angle, also it's marginally off centre, so I'm going to redo it.
    Also, is there a rule for soundpost pressure (not placement- I know that)? I can take my strings off and the post stays in place, which makes me think it's too tight, but it's not distorting the top or back, so it cant be too tight.
    Where I live, there are a couple of people who do DB work, but I kinda like to do things myself (I have built my own EUB), and they are not players themselves. I believe that good bass setup can only be done by someone who is a player themselves.
  2. Man, there's not much action around the DB forum, is there?
  3. You're asking questions which should be addressed to luthiers.
    I would no sooner reset the neck of my bass than I would drill my own teeth.
    Maybe the lack of response indicates how others feel about do-it-yourself bass repairs.
  4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I have been curious about an answer to the angle-question... I have two basses, and the neck angles are different. Don't know exactly how much, but it is easy to see.

There's a lot of soundpost info in the 2xbasslist archives. I haven't found a definite answer to how tight it should be, but the consensus seem to be that it should barely stay in place with strings off. So says my luthier too. Some say it should fall. Since it is hard to see how tight it is when it is in place, maybe you could mark the position and then try to move it slightly to get a feel of the pressure.

I believe the 2xbasslist is the place to go for info on more extensive repairs. There are people there who both play and make/repair basses.
  5. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
  6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I recently had this same question in regards to tightness of the soundpost and correct placement. I did a search of the 2XBASSLIST archives and compiled a Word doc with all the info I cut-n-pasted out. If anyone would like to have it, let me know and I'll email it to you.
  7. I'd be interested in that. My addy is
    Don, my home repairs are done mainly from economic necessity. In New Zealand, a major repair is gonna cost me $1000-2000 NZ, and I kinda begrudge that sort of money. Fortunately, I have just found a guy, since my initial post, who is not only a player, but a luthier as well. He does it for a hobby, not a living, and as such only wants one bass at a time in his workshop, so he can take mine in about 8 weeks. He's gonna do a complete rebuild and setup, including repairing my Barbera bridge. Yay!!!
  8. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Mchildree, I would love to have a copy of the soundpost notes that you've researched.

Tnx in advance.

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    No problem, Pkr2! (or anyone else who wants this).

Please PM me with your email address, and I'll be happy to send it out.

10. Thanks Mike, much appreciated.
  11. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I'd like it myself, Mike; maybe I can clean it up as needed and post it somewhere on my site. The more we know, the more dangerous we are.
  12. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Hey mchildree,do you think its possible if i could get a copy to?
    It sounds really interesting.....

13. Yeah Bob! A little knowledge makes me very dangerous. I've done some terrible things to my bass. Maybe I should stay ignorant! Haha.