Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Setup

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by b0nes83, May 31, 2002.

1. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    Sorry to bother you again here. But i was wondering where I should take my bass to get a good setup on it. I have a Peavey Cirrus 4 string and i am having problems in the uper register with tunning/intonation and others. I dont want to take it to Mars, Drom Sound or any of those places. I'm here in New York just outside of albany. so any thought would be great. thanks,
    Chad

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Chad,
    You wouldn't be jealous of John R's setup on that Bone Bass he has would you? :D

Seriously, I prefer my basses with a very specific setup. In order to "get it right" I learned to do it myself. Addionally, when you do a truss rod adjust, the neck might move over a couple of days. If you give it to a shop to do, your setup might change in the ensuing days.

On a 24 fret neck, I usually adjust the intonation at both the 12th and 24th fret. If there is a small difference, I can do a bit of compromise. If the difference is huge, it is usually the string. I have found way too many strings that just will not play in tune over the length of the neck. There might be some other issues such condition of the frets, etc.

There is a wonderful luthier in North Adams, MA name Steve Sauve. He did a wonderful reftret on my Fodera. His # is 413 663-3060. It's a bit of a hike, but well worth it (as opposed to having it done by most of the local hacks)

BTW, I'll be doing a clinic, sponsored by SWR at Mars in Albany on June 20th at 7:00 pm - hope you can come

Mike

3. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    i have played rogones bone bass many times....its a nice bass but it didnt do it for me. to much like a warwick. lol. thanks for the info and i will hope to see you soon at your clinic....thanks again.
    Chad

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Chad,
    you might not like the bass, but it's got a great set up

Mike

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Chad,
    I can show you how to do a setup, as well.

Mike

6. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    the bass does have a good setup. but would be easier to play if he would change his 3 year old strings.
    For the dragonetti piece i have to tune my bass up a whole step, and i have noticed there is alot less buzzing in the 12-17 frets but it is just a bit out of tune.
    Im going to sit down tonight after work and start to try to get the bass in tune.
    Chad

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Chad,
    When you tune the bass up a whole step, you need to adjust the truss rod accordingly. The extra tension on the strings will cause the neck to bow. This is especially true if you leave the bass in that tuning for any length of time. There were some really godd articles in Bass Player recently by Scott Shiraki on bass set up. He did have one confusing item about tightening/loosening the trussrod which was cleard up in the next months letters to the editor.

The series started in the Nov '01 issue

Mike

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd echo what Mike said about the importance of strings in setting the intonation.

I'd been uphappy with the intonation on my Tanglewood Odyssey (electro-acoustic) - every fretted note was out by somewhere between 5 and 40 (ouch!) percent. I checked every note on every fret with a tuner and the discrepancies didn't even follow a consistent pattern along a given string.

The solution was to put on the set of Thomastik-Infeld Phosphor Bronze Nylon Core strings that I'd bought a few months ago and been waiting for that 'special moment' to put them on! Voila, virtually perfect intonation all the way up and down the neck... much better than the no-name, had-them-on-since-I-bought-the-bass strings that were there before.

I was highly relieved - the bass doesn't have an adjustable bridge so I don't know what I'd have done otherwise. It's certainly taught me the value of decent strings in issues of intonation; if you can't get the intonation set properly with bridge adjustments, I'd recommend trying a new set of strings before turning to more drastic measures such as fitting a new neck or throwing away the instrument... ;)

Wulf