bass shapes

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by flint, Feb 24, 2005.

1. flint

Aug 24, 2004
    I've done the requisite searches, but havent found suitable answers.

1. Is the difference in shapes (gamba/violin/bussetto) an aesthetic one, or a functional one.

2. Did the differences arrive via evolution. If so, which came first?

3. Is one more "traditional" than another for either jazz or symphonic?

2. And don't forget the Italian guitar shaped basses.
    I forgot that one once and Kenny Boy caught me!! :crying:
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Paul, that is what I am looking for !
  4. They're pretty rare. Very hard to pick up with no corners.

Z...remember Ken McKay...the bass luthier who made the cool Q bass for his son? He's in the process of making a guitar shaped bass even as we speak! PM him!
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I've been searching this long...seems like i'll never find a home..
  6. flint

Aug 24, 2004
    i meant to put "etc..." so as not to hurt any feelings!
  7. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    this is a little off but I think i remember seeing pics on this site somewhere of an asymmetrical, modern bass design. was it arnold's? i found it very interesting...
  8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Yes, Arnold's Ergonomic Bass...
  9. dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    As far as what came first goes I would think that it would be gamba. I believe gambas came before violins. Basses are really a mix between the violin family and the gamba or viol family. Flat backs are also a party of the gamba family. I don't really know, though, just guessing. I do know that an early type of violin known as the Vielle (12-13 century) was guitar shaped.
  10. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    I think there's one shown at the world of basses website. What an ugly thing. Looks like Fat Albert.
  11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I never pick up a bass by the corners, anyhow. I grab the neck and the bottom of the bass so that I can pick it clean up off the floor and not drag the edges on anything.
  12. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
  13. What a man! If I did that, my back would end up in a cast!
    I grab the neck and the top of the C bout. I've seen people put their hand inside the bass side F hole to pick up. Scares me!
  14. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    paul, who are you talking about making cornerlesse basses?
  15. Remember, probably last year sometime, an old friend of mine named Ken McKay, one of our regular posters, posted some pictures of a good looking bass he made for his son Quinn...I think was the son's name. He called it the Q bass in honor of his son. He carved a Q on the back of the peg box.
    Anyway, he's in the process of making a guitar shaped bass.
    You should be able to PM him by using the search!!
  16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I dunno -- I guess it depends on the bass -- size weight, etc. -- but it's eems pretty easy to me and I'm not that tall. Left hand on the neck, right at the heel, right hand flat on the ribs, just past the horizon of the curve of the bottom bout. Real secure grip on teh bass and no incidental 'sanding' the bass on the floor (or snagging precious wood on the pile of carpeting). I would recommend that you confirm that there are no mic cables or anything over either end of the bass that would knock it out of your hands...
  17. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i do remember that. where is he located Pauly ?
  18. Do a search...he sent me the plans to give to Bob Ross. I'll check with Bob and get back to you.
  19. Ken McKay also communicated with me recently about his plans to make such a bass. I think if the proportions are right, these are really beautiful shapes. More importantly, the lack of the corner blocks could increase the overall flexibility of the ribs and improve the instrument's resonance. It will be interesting indeed to see and hear how this one turns out.

If I remember my history, the lyra instrument family was cornerless. These are sometimes considered progenitors of violins and violas.

FYI, Ken is in the Great Lakes area. You can probably find a post of his and send him a PM.