bass sheet music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 1dgbass, Aug 15, 2009.

1. 1dgbass

1dgbass

Jul 24, 2009
    Staten Island
    Hey,

I'm trying to improve my sight reading skills and so far it's pretty tedious.

I've been writing my own sheet music and learning from that, but I was wondering if there are any places on the net that have free sheet music.

Most of what I have already provide the tab right underneath and it's so hard not to look.

Thanks, and any help would be appreciated.

2. Akshat

Akshat

Dec 7, 2007
    New Delhi,India
    Keeping the Groove staying out of Treble
    if you search google you generally get the melody to the songs along witht he progression

EDIT:try guitar pro,that'll help when you type your stuff itll write the sheet or vice versa.

3. WRBass

WRBass

Dec 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx.
  4. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    Thats how I write my tabs. With the standard notation at the top and the tab underneath. Not a bad way to improve your sight reading. You'll cheat and look down at the tab but you'll subconsciously be reading the notation too. Try this, read the tab until you get the tune down. Then, cover up the tab and play it while reading the notation.

5. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Those links are good.

Some more suggestions that have helped me a lot:

Write out some of the licks/lines you tend to play when jamming/improvising. You will be amazed how differently you see and hear these lines once you have figured out how to notate them and read them. This is a great way to associate what you hear and feel with your reading.

Do some transcribing of some basslines from songs you like. Even if you already know how to play them, the act of writing it out will help your reading and understanding more than you can imagine.

Go to a sheet music store and get a book of trombone etudes and exercises. This is great stuff for learning to read because it's pretty different than what you normally play on a bass.

Try some of Anthony Vitti's books (http://www.anthonyvitti.com/home.html), if you can get through a few of those your playing and reading skills will explode.

6. This link has a lot of stuff you can work on. It's all jazz oriented, so you may or may not be interested, but it'll definitely help your sight reading.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522578

I personally transposed the ii-V-I stuff into all the other keys and have been working through them. My sight reading has already improved and I've been reading music on bass for almost 3 years.

7. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

Guitar pro. I use it all the time. You can turn the tab off so it's just sheet. You can get GP files on a lot of tab sites such as ultimate-guitar.com

8. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Most of the transcriptions I've posted in my blog have both standard notation and tablature, but anyway I think you may find them useful:

http://alvabasstuff.blogspot.com/

10. 1dgbass

1dgbass

Jul 24, 2009
    Staten Island
    thanks for all the help fellow low enders!!

i'll use the material wisley.

peece.

11. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Tabs will in no way help you, if you are working on reading make sure there are no tabs. I go through some trombone etudes and solo pieces to sharpen up the reading. (I agree with smeet here!) They are also usually pretty good pieces. The Simandl for double bass is good also.

12. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
  13. ByF

ByF

May 19, 2009
    That may be a good way to learn a song, and a way to learn to read standard notation, but the OP asked about sight reading. What you describe is not sight reading.

If you have a gig in which you need to sight read, you won't get to learn it from tab first.

Ed

14. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Are you talking about actual "sight-reading", where you play something on the fly? Or are you talking about plain old reading sheet music?

If you mean actual sight reading, ditch the tabs and just find some sheet music. Get a metronome, set it to tempo and just try playing through it, Don't stop, just keep playing until you reach the end of the piece. Once you're done, find more sheet music and so the same thing. You can't have some kind of reference like Tab when you're doing sight reading because in most cases when you actually need the skill you'll have no tab to check and hardly any time to go back and check what you're doing.

If you mean just regular reading, I still say you shouldn't use tabs. If you want to get the skill of READING SHEET MUSIC in your head, you need to focus on just that. You gotta just plunge into it and just work it out, without any kind of reference. This is the fastest, and arguably best, way you're going to get it down.

15. CharlieDog

CharlieDog

May 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
  16. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    +1

If you want to learn to read well, ditch the tab now. For good. Do not look back.

If you think you're going to need some help, get a teacher.

17. Thanks to everyone that's posted links! I am working on brushing up on my sight reading as well. These links are great.

18. Stupid question: Middle C is the C on the 5th fret of the G string, right?

19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

As written, the answer is yes. But the bass sounds an octave lower than written. So, the C on the 5th fret of the G string is written as the middle C but it doesn't sound like it. If you are looking for the real-sounding middle C, it can be found on the G string, 17th fret.

(And it's not a stupid question :))

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021