Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Shipping Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by estesbass, Dec 20, 2004.

1. estesbass

estesbass

Dec 6, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    hey guys,
    i have to get an upright from nashville to miami. how should i go about shipping this (i.e. safest shipping companies, packing, etc.)?
    thanks for any help,
    jon

2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    A few questions for ya Jon:
    The bass's value
    Are you meeting it at the other end, and if so how are you getting there? Is someone else taking delivery of it?

3. estesbass

estesbass

Dec 6, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    john,
    the bass is a mint 1960's Juzek, worth around $7,000 im guessing. i go to school at the university of miami, but I just bought the bass here in Nashville. I will be flying back to Miami on Dec. 30th. Hope that helps,
    jon

4. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004
    i hope it's insured

5. I think your best bet is to rent a car or minivan and drive it there yourself. It's probably less expensive, and after you factor in time you would have spent preparing the bass to ship, picking it up, getting to the airport 4 hours before your flight leaves, etc., it's probably just as quick. Not to mention there's no guarantee the bass won't get damaged if you ship it. If I had just bought a $7K mint bass, I'd want to do everything in my power to keep it that way.

Even if your plane ticket is nonrefundable I'd check into the cost of car rental vs. cost of shipping.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm with T-Bal.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    For bass that nice, you'd probably even want to rent a hardcase to ship it in. Renting a case, crating it up and shipping it will cost you at least $400-500 if not more:

around $150 for freight.
    At least $100 to have it crated up.
    rental costs for the case ??
    Freight costs to get the case back ??

A stationwagon from Enterprise is looking pretty good at this point.

8. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    And if that's out and you must ship it, you can send it with an LTL carrier. FedEx Freight is a fairly decent option, they don't damage too much, but by all means take out the additional insurance. You can probably get a flight case or (if you really must) a box from Dustin Williams over there on 16th Ave ((615) 429-2927). If you use a box, you improve your odds by strapping it to a skid.

I have heard good things, both price and service wise, about Amtrak. That may work for you as well.

Good luck!
    John

9. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    This would be the only way.

The Word FRAGILE on any package means it will be damaged.

10. estesbass

estesbass

Dec 6, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    thanks for all the help guys...i found a way that i will actually be a able to drive the bass, so everything is cool.
    jon